Heat resistant wrap intake pipe

Bulkierzero

Jan 14, 2012
Rosemount,MN
I was just wondering if anyone had wrapped the intake pipe that runs across the engine with heat resistant tape? I was thinking that you could get some power gains from it. Im not too sure why this idea just popped into my head but if you have done it i would like to hear about your results.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
I have seen pictures of it. But the air is moving fast, and not fast enough for the turbo to heat it. Then, you hold the heat that happens from the head through conduction.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
I don't think that it would hurt for AIT any, but I don't think that it would be worth the weight.

I suppose that the time that the air is over the turbo is probably approaching the time that it's in the intercooler, but that piece of pipe is nothing like an intercooler in its ability to transfer heat.

All told, I think that you're far better off using the insulating wrap as it's intended, around the exhaust, to keep THAT nice and hot while going through the turbo. Let the heat go where it's intended -- through the exhaust. This will keep it out of the intake charge pipe, and keep the energy up going through the turbines where we want it.