Headlights not retracting / not closing

turbotank88

Jan 20, 2006
San Diego, CA
Hi all,
I've searched here, supraforums, even googled, and found several threads where lights don't turn on and don't flip up, turn on but not flip up, and flip up but not turn on, but I've not yet see where lights turn on, flip up, but don't close. This is my situation here. I've been doing testing and have yet to solve why my headlights are not closing / retracting when the light stalk switch is turned to the fully off position after the headlights have turned on and have fully opened.:: hommer ::

Things to note:
From fully closed, half closed, or partially closed positions, they will always fully flip up and turn on when the light switch is turned to the fully on position.
The lights are constantly on (no flickering) when the switch is turned to the fully on position.
The lights properly turn off when the switch is in other positions other than fully on.
Parking lights work.
There is no erratic motion when the headlights flip up.
I've replaced the light retractor relay in the kick panel with a known good relay.
I've checked all fuses in the kick panel and in the engine bay junction blocks, all are good (I've also replaced the RTR relay in the engine bay junction block with a known good relay).
I've replaced at least one of the retractor motors with a known good unit to test function, no change.

From pages BE-22 to BE-24 of the TSRM, the testing came up as expected from the manual. I am a little confused however on page BE-24 on the last section of testing the harness side of the relay circuit. See below:

In the Red section:
The previous pages don't mention a "Hold" position. What is the "Hold" position on the light switch?

In the Blue section:
I am confused on how to test this section. Some guidance would be helpful.

In the Green section:
I am guessing that I have to manually adjust the headlights with the knobs and then test?

Also to note:
The labels on my light switch are worn off, so I can only follow so much from the repair manual. :icon_sad:

Any assistance or insight would be greatly appreciated!

-Roman

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
Since you said your headlight switch is worn out, on the headlight/ turn signal switch, there is 4 spots with 4 clicks for each one.

From top to bottom you have

4.) Headlights on retracted up
3.) Parking lights on
2.) Headlights and parking lights off but still in the up position
1.) Headlights and parking lights still off but headlights are in the down position.

Also if you leave you lights on (4th spot), turn off the Supra, take the key out then open your door up the lights will turn off but stay in the up position.

For a quick test I would purposelessly set off the alarm and see in the headlights go up and down like they should.