Headgasket job so far

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
If you bore, you'll need new pistons and rings. Rods should be okay, and if the bearings look good, great.

If you do decide to go down this road, it's a lot more things to do.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Pistons, no. Piston rings, yes. http://www.driftmotion.com/7M-GTE-Ring-Set-Standard-Size-p/dm495.htm

Keep in mind though, this would mean pulling the block. If you pull the block you should have it line-honed, polish the crank shaft, new crank main bearings, new rod bearings, machine the deck (now you could install a MHG properly), etc...

You *could* hone it by hand by renting a drill attachment honing tool from an auto parts store. Even then though, you should replace all the bearings and have the crank polished.

Pulling the block will add a few hundred $$ as an absolute minimum, likely much more.

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
Depending on how much you remove, be prepared to buy pistons.

If the piston ring caused that damage, it's not impossible the piston could have a cracked ring land anyway.

Pistons should be measured to each cylinder they will go into. Not just a blank ".020" over bore for each one, but good machine work isn't cheap.

You could get away with just rings, if you had to.

tdream

Sep 26, 2016
Mesa AZ.
I just got a 6" wire wheel for my buffer. Used it on the valves. It tool all the carbon off in no time. Had all 24 valves done in no time. Very clean no carbon. Also I have a set of standard set of rings if you need them. I got an extra set with my pistons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jonathan91

Oct 3, 2016
Los Angeles
If i just hone the cylinders and do everything else besides boring, like polish the crank new bearings machine the deck, ect, and the pistons are fine will it still be a risk of it burning oil through the pistons with new rings if i dont bore it out?
Thats what im worried about, the surface of the cylinder walls and having to bore it and having to get some $600 pistons.
20161016_215931.jpg Im not sure if i even did the reading right though

Wait a minute i found this set. They have different sizes too. If i can use this set i will bore the cylinder for sure. They have different bore sizes too. My question is, if i get the .20 bore piston set and i tell the machine shop to bore the cylinders to match my piston size set will they bore all the cylinders to be equal in bore diameter? Im curious because my bore diameter are different in all cylinders. https://www.amazon.com/Toyota-Cress...id=1476724235&sr=1-1&keywords=7mge+piston+npr

I got a quote for $300, probably another 80 for the crank polish if that isnt included, for all the block work (resurfacing, bore/hone, hot tank) and $250 for all the head work (resurfacing and valve job). I can def do the valve job myself. That'll probably cut it down from $250 to around $80 just for the resurfacing. Does 500-600 sound like too much or just about right?

Last edited:

SupraTrbo89

Sep 21, 2006
West Chester, PA
This goes without saying but make sure you replace the valve seals. I had head work done and after it was finished I started the car it blew a ton of blue smoke. I thought new valve seals were common sense for the shop but apparently not. Needless to say I replaced them myself with the head still on the car which probably took as much time as if I had done the head gasket job myself.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
suprarx7nut;2082806 said:
Use an OEM Toyota Head Gasket. Forget Fel Pro or any other brand. Get a Toyota gasket from a dealer. Get any other brand you want for the rest of the gaskets, but get a Toyota OEM head gasket.

I don't agree because the Fel-Pro composite gasket has a steel core which holds to detonation much better.