head gasket repair...bolts removed, about to pull, but...

drb0mb

Mar 21, 2012
huntingdon
okay so i've more or less followed several resources (there's plenty of threads in here) along with the tsrm and i have my engine crane all bolted to the head. i pried it loose but the head doesn't seem to actually be free from the block, even though it's free enough to "rock" left and right slightly.

i'm afraid to put too much leverage on the crane if it's still attached somehow (i may have done so already unfortunately, the front shocks started decompressing slightly but i caught it by jamming something between the underside of the vehicle and the ground so it fell out when the car rose) , and if it is, it must be anchored in the middle somewhere based on the amount of movement the head has.

now...this is my first attempt at vehicle work beyond changing oil (although i'm mechanically inclined and know how to use tools well enough to have gotten this far), and i really don't know much about cars, so uh, take it easy on me

drb0mb

Mar 21, 2012
huntingdon
i'm not sure there's any hose that could hold the way this thing is holding on... so i just went back out there and gave it another good look around, i can't find any feasable place it could be attached around the perimeter of the head and block without some mirror to see some obstructed areas.

anyway, i decided to give it another lift and a little extra for good measure (got the car for 450 pounds...it's an experiment anyway) and strangely enough, as the front end is lifted a couple inches by the crane attached only to the head, the head maintains an ability to rock side to side on the block, even under this tension. almost like there IS something loosened but still attached, but its somewhere along the center line of the engine?

additionally, in the area the tsrm suggests using a prybar to break the gasket seal if its stuck (near the water pump), this results in being able to pry it up about a half centimeter but then bam, it's like hitting a rock. same deal on the other side of the engine, it'll pry up about half centimeter tilting the head uniformly toward the opposite side like a book opening, then it hits something very solid

Last edited:

drb0mb

Mar 21, 2012
huntingdon
naw i have those both pulled, exhaust out completely, intake is removed from head but i left the hoses attached and its just chilling in the engine bay, but nonetheless completely seperated from the head
thank you for replies

drb0mb

Mar 21, 2012
huntingdon
yep it was a running and driveable car but had a lot of vapor in the exhaust even after 10 minutes of running (previous owner had it off the road for a few years, he suspected the hg was blown also). i just double checked...i've got 14 head bolts pulled thank god

drb0mb

Mar 21, 2012
huntingdon
Jobsupra;1836062 said:
It is your dowel pins in the center of the block there r two one on each end use a small pry bar wrapped in cloth it will pop up just do it gently right in the centet of the end of the head

yep, dicking around with a prybar in the right place worked. thing was just on there good. and this head gasket is blown to all unholiness

drb0mb

Mar 21, 2012
huntingdon
alright lets see what we have here...
p1836189_1.jpg

what
p1836189_2.jpg

come on
p1836189_3.jpg

well, one side is okay, mostly
p1836189_4.jpg

p1836189_5.jpg

SRZMK3

did you get the hose off the back of the head, its easy to miss that one. it connects to a banjo bolt and then goes into the heater hose system that wraps around the block.

lol didnt read far enough my bad

Last edited: