Head gasket and turbo seals

aintcare

May 10, 2013
Klamath falls Oregon
Hi everyone, I'm a proud new owner of a 88 ma70 with the 7mgte. 168k Im pretty sure she has a bad head gasket b/c milky oil on the dip stick and she smokes white. she runs okay until warm up then will just die, im aware of the bad torque specs in the manuals and this car had the hg replaced once before. but i also found oil smelling of antifreeze in all of the intake hoses and such and getting sucked back through the turbo, wich im guessing means a bad turbo (seals). plugs are black and oily, not clean. car has been sitting for 2 years. I would like some input and peoples opinions on my situation as this is the first supra i have owned & i wanted some input before i go tearing it all down. thanks -matt

aintcare

May 10, 2013
Klamath falls Oregon
Forgive me if i posted this in the wrong section, i didn't see the other one for engine talk. anyway i drained the oil and no coolant came out before oil, its all just mixed and smells of coolant and is dark. i popped off the intercooler hose and drained about a pint of oil from the whole thing itself that also smelt like coolant.

mirage83

Mar 21, 2008
Georgia
With the miles, history, and current condition it sounds like a complete engine teardown and rebuild, to include the turbo in all likelihood. With that kind of oil contamination there's no telling how much damage has been done to the RA.

Oh, forgot to mention, some oil accumulation in the intercooler is normal. A pint sounds like a little much though.

aintcare

May 10, 2013
Klamath falls Oregon
Thank you for the reply i have the head off the car and the bottom end looks okay, piston bore measures in spec, might just baby it till i can fund a 1j swap. didnt have to put the wrench over 58ft lbs to take off the head bolts, looks like whoever did the last HG didnt even have the head machined had. it also had lots of missing bolts everywhere etc.. steam cleaned the head and about to have a valve grind done, and i will rebuild the head. I noticed on the camshaft caps, the I 1-7 Is on the exhaust side and the E 1-7 is on the intake side, isnt that backwards? I for intake and E for exhaust? first time i worked on a 7m so im unfamilliar. also picking up a new oem ct26 and driftmotion intercooler to replace the old one, also will be putting arp head studs on it. any advice when removing cam caps and cams would be great, i can get the sequence from alldata at school but id like to get them off asap.

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
you're most likely going to have lower end bearing failure. coolant will ruin the lower end. i suggest rebuilding the whole thing before you cause more damae.

aintcare

May 10, 2013
Klamath falls Oregon
thanks for the very few replies i got lol. thanks, im aware of what coolant does to the lower end, it never made any noise but im sure its pretty worn out. i mic'd the head and it was .0030 under minimum thickness and still needed to be re surfaced the head is junk, i havent pulled apart the bottom end yet. its still in the car, someone fucked this 7m up, i have to figure out how to pull it without the head on. I might just buy a jdm 7m. because new heads arent cheap. but finding a reputable place that sells good engines is hard to find from what i have read, shipping bad engines and stuff like that.