head coming off soon, thinking about cams

87'N/A

Aug 2, 2009
Auburn, WA
I'll be taking the head off soon to replace the bhg. And i figured while im already tearing into the engine why not put in some nice new camshafts to get a little more out of it. But the only cams i can find are Brian Crower and they are VERY expensive. Does anyone know of any other options for cams other than BC?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Why change the camshafts at all? They work in the optimal range for what the head and manifold flows. Are you changing those things?

87'N/A

Aug 2, 2009
Auburn, WA
I just want to get a little more power out of it, and i figure upgraded cams will help and now is a good time to d it since I'm already going to be tearing it apart. But at the prices i found it just doesnt seem worth it. I could buy a 7mgte for some of the prices i found. And yea in the future i would like to P&P the head/manifolds and go with headers/full exhaust.

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Power doesn't come cheap. You'll have to take the head off again to have porting done, do cams then when it will actually make a difference. Also cams can be swapped with the head in the car relatively easily.

Roger UK

Jun 20, 2010
Newcastle
If (like me) you don't like turbochargers, but want a little more power, personally I would just fit a 2JZ-GE (like I did last year)

For a start, it's a MUCH more reliable engine (Unlike the 7M, Head Gasket and Big End failures are extremely rare)

Because they never go wrong, 2JZ-GE's are normally available VERY cheap (certainly here in the UK)

It's also a very easy swap, as the MK4 N/A Supras also use a version of the W58 Gearbox, and the same clutch.

And without any Cats on the 2JZ-GE you should be looking at around 250 bhp.

To see how it looks in my Mk3, click the Photo Page link in my Signature.

andrew_mx83

Mar 22, 2008
Melbourne
A decent set of sticks will make a huge difference even with stock ports and intake on a 7m-ge. Ive even run it with the stock cast ex manifold and full exhaust, gives a decent increase in midrange, but you really notice the top end improvements after adding a set of pipes and a nice 2.5" mandrel bent system all the way.

The BCs are expensive and not a heap of choice on profiles, you can go regrinds and thicker shims for a bit less but its still not as cheap as camming your old pushrod v8. 24v heads are nice, but expensive to do any work on.
If you are recutting the valve seats while the head is off and therefore redoing the valve clearances, now would be the time to change the cams IMO.

Id aim for mid-high 260's advertised duration and 8-8.5mm lift on a street motor. If the bottom end is in good condition you could go slightly more duration and increase the redline, I like 268's as they have a fat power band from just under 4000 to mid 7000's and will still pull uphill in 5th at 40mph on 3.9s. 7700rpm shifts ftw, sounds amazing.
Valve springs are needed much over 7000, but are cheap from comp cams.