Hawken (Beta)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Been a while since there was a good mech game... Steel Battalion came out in what, 2004? Then again, the Armored Core series has looked good recently too.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
GrimJack;1887910 said:
I tried to log in several times over the weekend, and kept running into problems... I'm wondering if it hates Win8.

Eww.... You loaded up Win 8.
:stickpoke

Sadly I haven't been able to get into a Mech game since the original Mechwarrior series. Been on the fence about giving this one a try though.

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
Bessemer, Alabama, United States
GrimJack;1887910 said:
I tried to log in several times over the weekend, and kept running into problems... I'm wondering if it hates Win8.

It was VERY hard to get in, servers stayed full most of the time. If you tried to join an open slot, likely as not it filled before you could join. It ran fine on Win7.
My video card was grossly lacking so I had to run at low res, so no hi-res screenies, sorry. Game was absolutely wicked to play though. Its like CoD with mechs.
MUCH faster pace than the mechwarrior series. In the mechwarrior games, its all about managing heat while dishing damage, but the mechs always lacked maneuverability. Hawken is ALL about maneuvers. Fire off some shots and send a rocket downrange, then dash into cover to radiate some heat and reload rocket, etc, then dash back out and repeat. The key to the game is movement and effectively using cover.

p1888464_1.png

p1888464_2.png

p1888464_3.png

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Sounds kinda like ZOE or some of the Gundam games Doc... speed and agility over firepower. My kinda sci-fi game. :)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Hawken has gotten an unheard of amount of money backing it for a free to play game. Hope it goes well.

I'm still waiting for my beta invite, but from what I've seen and heard, it's much better than Mechwarrior Online.

Honestly, if you want to do mechwarrior, play the Crysis mod, Mechwarrior Living Legends.

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
Bessemer, Alabama, United States
Poodles;1888625 said:
Honestly, if you want to do mechwarrior, play the Crysis mod, Mechwarrior Living Legends.

I'll have to look into that :)

I just got an email, Hawken Beta 2 will be up from Nov 8-13. If you don't have/can't get a Beta code but really want to play, PM me. If I can't get you a code, I'll let you borrow my login and you can test it under my account this weekend (I'm working nights all weekend, so I won't have much opportunity to play).

EDIT: they are still giving out Beta codes for the next event. check out playhawken.com or just google for it.