Having troubles with the tranny....I think.

Chaotic Neutral

ex machina
Jul 5, 2005
Canton, GA
Recently, I took my car into Toyota, because it was smoking, and didn't want to go into gear at all (1989 Auto, non turbo). Also, seems like a high idle at 1200rpms.

The smoking was fixed, and the report back on the tranny was that it was fine, but the car's ecu is bad.

So, I got a "new" ecu from an SM member....and while the car now goes into gear (I have to use the shift lock, however).......it won't shift out of first on it's own. It will get up to 2000 rpm, and hold there. And the 1200 rpm idle maintains.

I can go through the gears manually, but even when doing so, the car feels very sluggish. :nono:

Any ideas on what to check? They went through the tranny, and it came back with a clean bill of health....maybe a sensor or something?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
What are your expectations for how it should shift?

ECU failure is rare. Engine or trans ECU? Does it feel like it is taking off in second gear?

Chaotic Neutral

ex machina
Jul 5, 2005
Canton, GA
Nick M;918228 said:
What are your expectations for how it should shift?

ECU failure is rare. Engine or trans ECU? Does it feel like it is taking off in second gear?

Not sure I really understand the question of my expectations for how it should shift. When in Drive, it doesn't shift at all. When I go through the gears manually, I can hear the car change gears, but there's practically no difference in speed, just rpm. Flooring it through my neighborhood, for example, only got me up to about 30-40 mph.

I replaced the engine ECU, so I'm going to guess that the trans ECU is the next logical step.

Second gear feels as sluggish as first gear does. There's no taking off in any gears....just feels like the whole car is being strangled or held back somehow.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Could be a catalytic converter issue(for being "strangled" and sluggish). If they get plugged up enough, they won't let any exhaust through, in effect, strangling the engine. Easiest way to check that would be pull the cat. and go drive it. It'll be loud and nasty, but you'll know if there's a difference. Just a maybe...

How to read trans. codes: http://cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=AT&P=14 Code definitions are on the next page.

There is, apparently, something wrong with the transmission system as well. Could be electronic, or mechanical. Could even be the tps...

This is where you need to look to diagnose your problem: http://cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=AT&P=1

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
PROJECT N00b;919854 said:
yeah check if your TPS is plugged in...it happened to me too. it wouldnt change by it self but it did change when i did it manually.
I don't think it would run at all without the TPS plugged in. Could be going bad or need set.