Have you regretted going 7M to 1JZ?

5uprahboy

Aug 22, 2005
Auckland
But all you have to do to make the 7M reliable is completely rebuild it with ARP head studs and new bearings and do something to the oiling system so it actually works when cornering.

So simple.....

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
It has been said many times, "never has so little mattered to so few!"

So when is everyone moving to the GR series, after all Toyota replaced the aging JZ series engines with the GR line. Lighter, more efficient, dual VVTI. The MR2 crowd has already done it.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
S.A. supra;2020105 said:
It's funny when all these 7m guys start talking about 7m and the hoops you have to jump through to make them reliable. While they are doing all that, 2jz guys are slapping on turbos and bigger injectors. The 2jz is now a monster and the 7m is merely reliable.

Hoops? Lol. If you call arp studs and a headgaskets hoops, I feel sorry for you when your 20+ year old valve seal guides fail while you're putting the new turbo on and cant figure out why you're smoking now.

MkIII FTW

Aug 31, 2009
Huntsville
Yeah I'm sorry but a headgasket and replacing bolts isn't what I would call "hoops". That's standard maintenance for high mileage vehicles. Most of these cars have at least 100 -150k plus on the motor. So its not surprise that the head gasket may give. If you are following correct maintenance practices that's around the time you should consider replacing one anyway and that goes for any vehicle. It's simple...people cut corners, get cheap, run out of funds or a combination of the three.