Hatch release_Not so easy fix? Arrrgh!

Supra469

Apr 20, 2007
Maryland
So my hatch release has not been working and finally Matt and myself decided to try and finally fix it and also put on some new parts too :D

Anyway, after we got the panels off and tried to remove all the slack from the cable, it still does not work. So we dicided to try to take the center lens section out because the cables run behind it, but 2 bolts won't seem to give.....the bolts themselves are not stripped, they just turn and turn without coming out......and if we really yank on it, i'm afraid we'll crack it. :cry: I already have to buy a rear driver's side lens, and hopefully I won't have to buy a center section also. :aigo:

Anyone have any suggestions for further troubleshoot the hatch release.

90T04

Mar 30, 2005
Tucson, AZ
www.azsupras.com
Sorry I cant be of much assistance but i will bump this cause I would like to know the answer too. I had the exact same problem of the bolts that hold the tail lights in just spinning as well.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
The problem is usually right at the latch. Here is a picture of a latch. The problem is at the little white plastic clip It holds you cable in place and keeps enough tension on it while you pull the release. As you see, the cable is held down by that clip, and then proceeds to the point where it attaches to the moving piece that releases the hatch. Once the plastic piece breaks from heat and use, the cable is allowed to flop around and the slack it gets will not allow the small amount of travel need at the end to pull the latch. I once used bailing wire to reattach the wire where it is supposed to be, and it fixed the problem, but didn't last forever.

***EDIT*** I believe there is also a piece on the cable itself that clips into the metal right where the pink mark is. If the piece on the end of the cable breaks off there, you will need another cable. Bobiseverywhere stated in his parts for sale thread recently that he has a set of cables to sell. I need the end of the gas cable, and I'm waiting to see if he will split the set up.

p1131807_1.jpg

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
...A great oppty to just install a 15Lb solenoid popper (~. Cable is great, but pressing a button on the dash is greater. Sux though when battery's disconnected/dead.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Notice on that latch that the white clip and latch lever that there are two places for a cable. One cable is for the interior handle, and the other cable comes from the lock cylinder in the rear. Could you not leave the keyed cable intact with the popper solenoid?

Supra469

Apr 20, 2007
Maryland
ForcedTorque;1131807 said:
The problem is usually right at the latch. Here is a picture of a latch. The problem is at the little white plastic clip It holds you cable in place and keeps enough tension on it while you pull the release. As you see, the cable is held down by that clip, and then proceeds to the point where it attaches to the moving piece that releases the hatch. Once the plastic piece breaks from heat and use, the cable is allowed to flop around and the slack it gets will not allow the small amount of travel need at the end to pull the latch. I once used bailing wire to reattach the wire where it is supposed to be, and it fixed the problem, but didn't last forever.

***EDIT*** I believe there is also a piece on the cable itself that clips into the metal right where the pink mark is. If the piece on the end of the cable breaks off there, you will need another cable. Bobiseverywhere stated in his parts for sale thread recently that he has a set of cables to sell. I need the end of the gas cable, and I'm waiting to see if he will split the set up.

p1131869_1.jpg

Thanks!! Can you show some arrows on the pic the parts you are talking about.....still a lil lost with this.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
I would guess the white plastic at the end of the cable (middle piece) is the most common problem. It has a channel cut in it so it will clip into that U shaped clip. If the piece to the right isn't there, it will not stay put, and the cable will not pull. After more thought, I believe the white guide clip (first part) is not as important.

The latch is just inside the rear interior panel. Pretty easy to get to.

p1131973_1.jpg