Hatch and gas lid cable remove/install

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Okay.. I am looking at replacing my hatch cable (its busted somewhere near the end piece). From what I can see, I have to remove the driver's seat, rear seats and almost the entire rear interior to access everything correctly.
Anyone done this that can verify I am not going to do a lot of work for nothing? lol.

(this is for my 90 MK3.. not the 88)

iruyle

Jul 17, 2012
lawrenceville, ga
Coincidentally, I just did this about four hours ago. You MIGHT be able to do it without taking the seat out, just slip the 10mm in through the hole in the carpet where the levers emerge. That said, you will almost certainly need to lose the rear wings that hold the speaker boxes which means rear seatbacks and rear seat elbow panels. See the pic. It is the thin cable clipped very gently into wire clips all the way from the door sill over the strut tower and around the edge of the cargo area. It is a job well worth doing if you need it done though, plus you will likely find a few bucks in change in the process. ;)
IMGP0046.jpgIMGP0047.jpg

Last edited:

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
ah, just what I expected.. gonna have to strip the panels off the back.. may as well do the antennae at the same time and get it all done with... and brake light seals...
These cars dont really stop costing do they.. lol.. find a couple bucks? My Supras have yet to pay me anything.. : D

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
If 90's are anything like 91/92's then you should replace the hatch cable with an 86.5-89 model. 91/92 (and possibly '90) cables are 2 piece and are made of fail.

iruyle

Jul 17, 2012
lawrenceville, ga
RazoE;1881455 said:
If 90's are anything like 91/92's then you should replace the hatch cable with an 86.5-89 model. 91/92 (and possibly '90) cables are 2 piece and are made of fail.

I never knew that. Thats nuts. How do they even make one with two pieces?

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
damn.. well.. I bought the cable replacement for about 30.00 (both gas door and hatch) so I will just use it. Its a pain to do, but if I have to do it again later, so be it. Its kinda good to take the rear interior out once in a while anyway to monitor any potential rust areas...

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
Grandavi;1881484 said:
damn.. well.. I bought the cable replacement for about 30.00 (both gas door and hatch) so I will just use it. Its a pain to do, but if I have to do it again later, so be it. Its kinda good to take the rear interior out once in a while anyway to monitor any potential rust areas...

And to swap out the rear speakers:D

iruyle

Jul 17, 2012
lawrenceville, ga
Grandavi;1881484 said:
If you want an 86.5 hatch cable, I have a good one you can have free. Pm me your shipping addy if you want it.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I will be doing sometime next month probably (as long as it doesnt get too cold). Hate the key open method.. lol.

I was just wondering.. is there any lubricant that should be used on the hatch release (the metal sprung part that holds the hatch closed in between the tails). ALways wondered if that should be lubed or just WD40'd....

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
wow.. lol.. I never thought of it. Electric would make it easier. Is there anyone that has done this? (Im not an engineer.. more of a follower) Probably a simple little addition of wires and some used electronic kicker from the wreckers...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Could probably adapt a remote trunk opener from an LS400 easily enough. :)