hard stalls at 5K?

NYsBlueMA

Evo+supra=3 cars
Sep 24, 2009
New York, New York, United States
Hey people I was messing around with the car new TPS, adjustment, and some fresh fluids. Its finally good enough outside its the first time I push my freshly swapped 87 1JZ. At a low pull,about 4K she rides like a dream, lots of cruising power with the 4.30 gears. Around mid afternoon I went out for a allout run, my car nearly broke my chin. Its after full boost around 5K rpm the car feels like I hit an invisible car, severe and sudden loss of power. I haven't had any codes pop up but I think its turbo related my first step is checking the wastegate any help or expirience is appreciated thank you

ben1984j

Jan 18, 2009
Ft. Collins, CO
Did you pull codes since this happened or are you just saying the check engine light hasn't come on? You might have codes but no CEL. Sounds a lot like fuel cut (code 34)...

NYsBlueMA

Evo+supra=3 cars
Sep 24, 2009
sorry i took so long out to delaware with the family I have no codes and I ran them twice. I read in most manuals a code wont set unless consecutive failures occur I have not 1 code. One of my fellow track buddy's who's worked on alot of turbo cars told me its boost cut that usually happens with a bad wastegate. I haven't had the chance to check her out due to rain but are there any vacuum lines that go to or come off the turbos themselves? If its the wastegate/s do I have to put in a new set?

FIL

Jul 17, 2007
Thornlie
blog.highoctanephotos.com
My thoughts: You hit boost cut.

To semi-confirm: What exhaust set up have you got? Do you have a boost gauge fitted? If so, what boost did it make just before the cut?

It sounds _exactly_ how the 1JZ boost cut feels...

NYsBlueMA

Evo+supra=3 cars
Sep 24, 2009
Okay heres my info its a 1987 lsd package no creature features 1JZ swap R154 tranny running of the downpipe with the JZ Tach no big mods. 2 3/4 piping 3 inch intake and a X-line boost guage reading 20 lbs vacuum at idle 11 lbs about 3500 rpm. FIL I think it is boost cut but would exhaust really cause it, I dont see creep on the gauge or codes but i didnt do anything but regular driving since that happened. My friend said the ECU would catch a creep before the gauge so I only see 11 lbs

NYsBlueMA

Evo+supra=3 cars
Sep 24, 2009
I dont have the guage to check the actual turbo but my gauge stays at 11 psi only thing I could think of is the tach gauge its a 1JZ 7k limit could it just be too much/little resistance somewhere? im running injector cleaner by lucas right now mabye a corroded injector im bringing it by my friends shop hes got tons of tools less of a clue lol