H&R vs Intrax Springs

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
So long story short, since it looks like I'm not going to be able to get the RS*R springs I wanted, I'm stuck trying to find something else. So right now I'm considering both the H&R Race springs (part number 54689) and the Intrax springs (part number 75.1.050). From what I can tell, the Intrax springs are stiffer, but I haven't really heard anything about how well people like them.

Anybody have any opinions to offer?

EDIT: While looking for RS*R springs on ebay I found a few coilover kits that are in my price range as well. Godspeed Type-RS coilovers (Part Number: SC-021; reasonably stiff with adjustable ride height) and Megan Racing EZ Street (part number MR-CDK-TS86-EZ ; fairly stiff with adjustable dampening). Any thoughts on these vs Springs and Illuminas?

Last edited:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Don't get the godspeed coilovers. They suck. Buddy's top mount wore out hard and the rubber bushing on the bottom got destroyed within like 6 months and he had issues from day one.

I've heard good things about the Megan tracks.

I had h and r and liked them a lot with tokico blues. Like them way better than eibach.

But I prefer my coil overs over everything.

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
So now it looks like my two choices are Illuminas with H&R springs or Megan Racing EZ Coilovers.

I"ve heard so many mixed things I'm kind of reluctant to get the Megans, but I've also heard how much better coilovers are compared to springs/shocks. Any feedback?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I have the zankoku ones.

Coil overs are basically spring and shock with more adjustment. Either will do. Can also get kybs. Iirc the illuminas are more expensive so you could keep tems. If you don't have or don't want to keep tems don't waste the money.

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
The way I figure, if I don't go with coilovers, I'll keep the tems just for the fun of it. The system in my car still works fine, so why not?
Unless I go with coilovers... that would be a good reason why not.

Now if only there were a set of the Zankoku for sale anywhere...

Neodeuccio

Addicted to boost...
Sep 30, 2006
Schenectady NY
suprastroker88;1827164 said:
I have intrax springs. I love them. Love the drop, love the stiffness

What kind of driving do you do and what kind of roads do you drive on? In upstate NY, most of the roads are ok, but some are complete shit, so I have to take that into account.

jdemara

Apr 28, 2008
North Delta
Just to throw it out there, I am running H&R springs on Bilstein shocks, all new, not used... and I find it too bouncy for my liking. Stiffness is fine, but if you hit a series of small bumps, or a road that isnt level and is kind of wavy (up and down), the front end feels like it starts bouncing up and down instead of absorbing it and settling back to a normal state. Hard to explain without feeling it. I dont know for sure if going with different lowering springs would solve my issue, but I am considering trying something else.

Personally, I HATE the bouncy feeling. But that could be just me, I've felt some nice suspension setups that are still stiff, and dont bounce around on the road.

suprastroker88

Supra Tuner
Jul 16, 2008
Bay Area, CA
Neodeuccio;1827202 said:
What kind of driving do you do and what kind of roads do you drive on? In upstate NY, most of the roads are ok, but some are complete shit, so I have to take that into account.

sorry for the late reply. i daily drive it. most of the roads i drive are somewhat smoothe. it is a bit bouncy on rough roads but thats just part of the game