H&R Springs on Bilstein Shocks...Loose Spring under no load

jdemara

Apr 28, 2008
North Delta
Just installing my H&R Springs on Bilstein shocks, doing the front right now. When the spring is on the shock, and the top mount is on and tightened, the spring is free to move, and not snug in between the top and bottom mount. (unless of course the weight of the car is on the shock) Is this normal or am I doing something wrong?
Yes, this is the front shock. And yes, this is the front spring.

Thanks for any help you can provide me!

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
You need to set the spring perch on the shock higher than what it is now. Higher meaning closer to the spring perch. The Bilsteins have adjustable perches...

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Normal. Until the weight of the car is on the spring and shock gets into place the shock is going to want to extend all the way up.

If they are adjustable perches then you might want to raise them up a little.

Mine did the same thing on tokicos until i started using them and i can turn my eibachs on my bilstiens.

jdemara

Apr 28, 2008
North Delta
Yeah, I know what you mean with the perches on the Bilstein... but even if it were at the top setting, still loose in there. (I mocked it up, even 1/2" plus ABOVE the perch, still somewhat loose. Owell.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Thats cause the shock when it doesnt have a load on it, If its good will extend all the way. New shocks have straps on them to keep them down for smaller boxes.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
My tokicos + B&G spring combo never had this problem. Had to compress the spring to get the shock all mounted up.
Neither did stock, on either of my Supras