GS300 Transmission Help (lots of pics)

BJ91T

Aug 28, 2006
Baton Rouge LA
Just made a copy of the thread I put up on clublexus, figured some supramania folks would be able to help aswell.

We are in the process of shimming the accumulators on a spare transmission that will be going in a 99 GS300 that currently contains a dead trans.

I have a few questions however before I set shims in place. The only writeup I could find on this subject was made for the mk3 auto (A340e) so the pictures there were not to helpfull to me.

Questions for almost every picture below.

The door sill on the GS3 It obviously says A650E However
The ID plate on the side of the new transmission dosent have A650E anywhere on it, however it came from a 99 SC4 the plate reads as follows

Aisin AW CO. LTD
model no. = 35-50LS
Serial. = 99CJ-00629

Im guessing that this is infact a A650E? Hopefully
Here is what the trans looked like after the valvebody was off
sm_photo_missing.jpg

I was told that one of the accumulators didnt need to be shimmed (overdrive im guessing) Which one is which in there?
the one in the middle needed some pushing to allow it to spring itself out. After it was released it looked like this
sm_photo_missing.jpg

After pulling the center cap off
sm_photo_missing.jpg

What came out from under the center cap
sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Inside the center peice (they all 3 look like this inside)
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Lined up from left to right (left being closest to the driveshaft when in the trans)
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Empty accumulator bores
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Now another question is do I place shims
here(in the buckets)?
sm_photo_missing.jpg

or here (in the bores)?
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Now if anyone knows which one I dont need to shim thats what I really need to know. I am more than willing to make this a writeup once its all done and working.

Thanks In Advance
BJ

NAiL05

Jan 12, 2008
Texas
My guess would be the buckets. Got any tranny shops around? Might give them a call they should know or know someone that knows.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Are you sure the GS300 and the SC400 use the same trans? SC400 was a 4l 1UZ V8, the SC300 has the same engine as your GS IIRC. I don't know for sure either way just thought I'd throw it out there