Grey Banana plug?

91blksupra

Jun 12, 2010
Lancaster CA
Hey guys, quick question- What is the purpose of the Grey Banana plug that plugs in the stock H/U? I understand the black banana plug is for the antenna but I'm confused to whether the Grey plug will be used in the new H/U. More info 91 Supra with NO factory CD player or Amp under pass seat . Thanks :1zhelp:

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
is it the smaller type plug that looks similar to the black antenna one? i believe thats for the diversity(?) antenna that is mounted on the back glass under the defroster it has its own lines on the bottom of the hatch glass and has 1 wire going onto it, i believe its for AM frequencies but im not sure, thats what i saw when i took off that wire, and no if your not really going to be using AM stations much i dont think u will need that wire on the HU as i never used it on mine :D

91blksupra

Jun 12, 2010
Lancaster CA
Oh the diversity antenna, that makes sense! Doesn't a diversity antenna have am and fm capability because the system switch's to either the primary or diversity in accordance to a stronger signal(@ least that how i thought it worked)? Is there anyway to integrate the signal into a aftermarket system?

modmonster2008

mod crazy yo!
Sep 9, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
i guess if there is an adapter and a splitter type of cord that can accomodate the two wires into one antenna input for the HU then i suppose it should be able to work

edit: i use the diversity antenna on my Kenwood headunit i just bought an adapter so that the smaller plug goes into the larger HU plug and i was able to get a good signal out of it

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
yeah it's for the diversity antenna that switches when the main one loses signal, or however that works..

my 89's antenna was broken off many ages ago, so the smaller antenna is the one i use...decent signal, but I don't listen to the radio very much anyway, so it's fine with me..

91blksupra

Jun 12, 2010
Lancaster CA
Yeah I ve looked around and it seems that no one makes an a adapter for Toyota; I ve found many Nissan/infinti and Audi's though. well, at least i have my primary antenna working and most aftermarket H/U don't have switching signal circuits anyway.

Sullivan

Jun 22, 2010
San Diego
Previous post is absolutely correct. Do NOT try to connect the two antennas together. It cannot do anything but make things worse.

Theoretically the diversity antenna, with a HU that is equipped for it, would help reduce "picket-fencing" and similar FM ills. It's not going to do much for AM because, well, AM doesn't have those sorts of problems; the wavelength is far too long for that.

In practice I actually think the diversity antenna in our Supras cannot do much anyway, as it is too close to the whip. However it's a distinctly different shape and orientation, so... maybe. Maybe the idea is that it picks up horizontally polarized FM signals while the whip does better at vertical.

At one time I actually had an aftermarket HU, a high-end Sony, that had the two antenna inputs. But I never did find an adapter for the Supra's plug. I ended up just replacing the plug with a standard Motorola plug. It really did work as an antenna (verified by disconnecting the main and plugging in a 75 ohm terminator in its place) but performance was much worse than with the whip.

Incidentally if you try to measure continuity between the connector to the glass and the center conductor on the plug, you will find none. That's ok, there's a small capacitor in series. Passes RF, blocks DC.