good place to buy 7MGTE

popeyer6

On the road soon.. I hope
Jan 9, 2007
Dahlgren, Va
Where is a good place to buy a motor. I am planning on getting one. I have found a few places, but I figured I would ask the PROs... What would be a good price to pay... Thanks

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
It'll also depend on what you're buying it for.

If you're buying a 7M-GTE to replace a 7M-GTE that you already have, then yeah, these places will be great. Buy yourself a longblock.

If you're buying one for a swap into an NA Supra, then you'd better get yourself a front cut, to get the electronics as well. Same if you're buying it to swap into a 4Runner, or similar.

Most JDM sources will be okay for a longblock, I think, as long as you don't mind rebuilding it before putting it in. I don't think that I'd trust an engine that I know to be more than 15 years old, even if it is low mileage.

popeyer6

On the road soon.. I hope
Jan 9, 2007
Dahlgren, Va
Well I bought a 89 a couple of years ago. The guy I bought it from said it had a little knock in the engine. The car had been sitting for around 4 years. When I picked it up I tried to start it. Wasn't getting fuel. I figured the pump was bad. So we cheated and dumped fuel straight into the intake just to get it to fire. It did, had it running for 20 or 30 seconds, no knock. So i started to tear into the motor, found the infamous BHG, 3 frozen valves, and quite abit of water in the crankcase. I just decided it would be easier to buy a motor, I do still want to rebuild the old one, but I want the car on the road. I know I need a few other things, like motor mounts, an intercooler(old one was crushed) The body had a few dents and a few spots of rust, but I also bought a 88 N/A for parts. So pretty much I just want to get a stock motor to get the car on the road, for now. Ok I am rambling now, Hope you get the jist of it all....

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
Dan_Gyoba;909510 said:
. Same if you're buying it to swap into a 4Runner, or similar.

Dan... you're not supposed to give me ideas, my 4runner is supposed to be my DD, not faster than my supra :icon_razz...

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Keros;909822 said:
Dan... you're not supposed to give me ideas..

But why not? It just seems logical to me... If I could figure out a way to swap a 7M-GTE into my Toyota Previa, I would.

Well, stock intercoolers aren't hard to come by, and upgraded ones aren't that expensive either. I got my Spearco replica from Driftmotion, and it looks great. I'll be installing that this spring, hopefully along with hardpipes and an HKS SSQV. (I have it all, it just needs putting together/installing.)

supraslo

Slaying Cobras
Jul 29, 2007
Burlington NC
www.myspace.com
I have a complete engine/trans for sale. Comes with everything from AEM EMS computer and wideband to a centerforce clutch DF and aftermarket pistons and MLS hg. I built the engine put 13k miles on it and wrecked the car. The engine was dynoed at 350whp and 410ftlb torque @ 18psi. The turbo however is making a bearing noise, so I would recommend replacing it with a LIPP turbo. If interested feel free to email me or call me 336-269-1070. I am open to offers just to get rid of the setup.

supraslo

Slaying Cobras
Jul 29, 2007
Burlington NC
www.myspace.com
It is a 1988 Turbo car. Has a 4pt roll bar and battery relocation with kill switch.

You get a Precision Turbo Intercooler
Walbro fuel pump
aeromotive fpr
HKS twin power ignition
HKS SSQV bov
custom intercooler piping
550cc RCI injectors
1mm oversized ferera valves
ported cylinder head
HKS MLS head gasket 1.2mm
.020 JE Pistons
knife-edged crankshaft (12lbs lighter than stock)
centerforce dual friction clutch (which holds up exceptionally well and is extremely street friendly)
AEM EMS stand alone
AEM UEGO wideband
3" TMS downpipe w/ elbow
3" exhaust (no cat)
Flowmaster 2 chamber muffler twin 2.5" outlets
There is probably more that I can not remember. I have a whole box of receipts and a dyno sheet. clean title. The only damage from the wreck is the front bumper is a little scuffed up and one of the intercooler brackets broke. This car is turn key and go although I don't recommend driving the car until the turbo is replaced. As mentioned above the turbo has alot of bearing noise under boost. Had a UPrated ct26 turbo which performed nicely, until I had to send it back due to seal issues. Engine was built to withstand about 55owhp with a decent tune. The current tune is for street use and is 350whp and 410ftlb.

Let me know if anyone is interested. I am willing to negotiate price and part the car out if I can not sell it as a whole. I must get rid of it. Wife is nagging me about it being in the yard.

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
well I can't afford it, but maybe someone else can ;) thanks.

-----EDIT----

p.s. - editing your posts rather than posting one-liners consecutively is a big help to the forum and it's readers ;) its easy and faster just go back, hit edit, and add what you forgot.