Good Oil for Torsen LSD rear end

steve1479

Oct 9, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I'm looking for a good oil for my rear diff (has the JDM Torsen LSD in it)

I've heard the RL Shockproof line-up is nice, I'm mainly looking for an oil that will provide superior lubrication and also tone down the gear chatter.

prsrcokr

Motörhead
Apr 3, 2005
Richmond
I run Redline 75w90 NS (the one w/o additive since there's no clutches to need the slip additive)
Haven't noticed any chatter in the 2 torsens I've run. There's a slight clunk when first engaging/changing direction but backlash is in spec, no chatter noticed.
Brian

gofastgeorge

Banned
Jan 24, 2008
Texas
I run the shock-proof in my drag rear end, god what nasty looking crap !
(lime green)
My Torsen rear end just has the 75w90 GL5 Mobil-1 in it.

You shouldn't have any gear noise if the rear end is set up correctly.
Did you install the torsen ?
It can be a pain to get the gear mesh correct.
I have done a bunch of them, and still get one off once in a while, and have to go in & re-shim it.

steve1479

Oct 9, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
My car came with the Torsen from the factory so I'm hoping it was set up right lol. I'll do some research on the GL-4 (I've been told to avoid GL-5's like the plague, something about corrosion on certain synchro's?)

steve1479

Oct 9, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Poodles;1435279 said:
Dreaded crush sleeve failure...

Note to self: Definately avoid GL-5 for Supra.

Thanks for the input guys, I'm picking up fluids this weekend to start stocking up for the winter storage building season so.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
No no, your "clunk." Toyota uses a cheap (but easy to use and mass produce) crush sleeve that's used to set pinion bearing preload. The crush sleeve wears out very quickly and then at that point the only thing that's really holding the pinion in is the staked pinion nut. It builds up play and throws the lash out of adjustment. In the worst cases, it will destroy the gears and spin the bearing race (been there, done that on my toyota truck). The fix is a solid spacer with shims that's properly setup.