Fuel problems: assistance required

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
Ok, I get off from work saturday at around 2 ish and go home take a shower and head out for a quick lunch. When I get back to the car it won't start. I check the codes I have none. I check the relays they all work everythings pluged in, blah blah blah. It turns over, gets fuel, gets spark, starter turns, no crank. Need less to say I was not ammused. Insert tow truck here. Later that evening we try it again and it turns over and billows some smoke out for a second sputters to life then runs like there was never an issue. Sunday I drive it around the block park it and wait 15 min then try to crank...nope, but I notice it smells like gas... I unpluged the CSI and waited a few hours it cranked billowed unburnt fuel and runs fine. Today no problems save the fact no csi makes cranking it a little more "fun" in this cold weather and it now does a small backfire pop noise when I shift. I just replaced the damn csi like 2 months ago. Is there anything other than the sensor on the tstat housing that controls it? Is there any other factor that could lead to flooding the motor I can check for? I have no AFR gauge yet but will be doing the aem as soon as funds permit.

Cliffs: Engine floods, no codes, unplug CSI it stoped, but it back fires.