Fuel Management Basics

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Joe, use this however you see fit. :)

Fuel Management 101

First, some facts:
1) ALL automobile internal combustion engines follow the same basic principles.
2) ALL complete engine management systems operate on the same basic principles.
3) There is more than one way to skin a cat. ;) (more on this phenomenon later)

Engine Basics
All engines are basically air pumps. They take in air, add a combustible (fuel), and turn that chemical energy into mechanical energy.

Note #1: The easier it is for the engine to move the air throughout the system, the more power said engine will make. Notice displacement does NOT dictate power - airflow does.

Any engine will run, as long as it has 4 basic requirements -
FAST:
Fuel
Air
Spark
Timing

Note #2: The amount and way each of these 4 elements are delivered, are what gives the engine its 'personality' - how the engine will behave.

Managing the Engine
Whether stock or aftermarket, all engine management systems control how Fuel, Air, Spark, and Timing are delivered.

OEM vs Aftermarket:
Your OEM system is designed to specifically work with the stock engine, stock fueling, and stock ignition, over a very wide operating range.

An Aftermarket system is designed to work with a wide range of engines, fueling systems, ignition systems, and work over a very wide range. This means an aftermarket system must be 'set up' in order to work correctly with your engine.

Variables that will be programmed in some form include:
How will I measure the amount of air coming into the engine?
How much fuel is entering the engine at any given time?
How much load is my engine under?
How much timing is needed for optimum burn, at this point?

Remember - FAST

Fueling System

Upon initial hookup of your Engine Management System of choice, I suggest you find your fueling parameters, and enter them first. (many systems don't give you the option - you have to put them in first!)

Things you may see:
Fuel Injector Size: Enter the size of your injectors, in whichever units they ask for.
Fuel Flow Rate: A different way of asking about your injector size.

This is also where you will input if you have hi or low ohm injectors, maximum rpm, possibly the BSFC (brake specific fuel consumption) - this varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, but the basics are the same - the EMS needs to know how much fuel per cycle is going into the engine.

Measuring the Airflow
Airflow is generally measured directly, or indirectly. Both ways have pros and cons, neither of which I feel need to be detailed right here.

Direct measurement is how the stock 7M works - By using an Air Flow Meter (AFM) or by using a Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor. These units all work to achieve the same thing - sampling the rate of air flow from the air stream coming into the engine. These rate samples are generally converted into a frequency signal, or sometimes a voltage signal. This frequency or voltage is sent to the Engine Management System, and the System looks up in a table, how much air is flowing at X hertz (or X voltage). Generally, this is referred to as a "MAF Calibration Table"

Indirect measurement is how the stock 1JZ works - By using the ideal gas laws to indirectly determine (mathematically) how much air comes in. The most common form of this, is with a Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor. This is a slightly more complicated way of determining air flow.

Note #3: The MAP sensor reads the absolute pressure in the manifold, and sends a signal to the Mangement System. ALL GM MAP sensors output a 0-5 volt signal. 1, 2, or 3 bar, all put a 0-5 volt signal out. The sensors are calibrated so that a 1 bar sensor has 0kpa = 0volt, and 101kPa (atmospheric pressure) = 5 volt. A 2 bar sensor has 0kpa = 0volt, and 202kPa (14.7psi) = 5 volt, roughly. This is why you MUST tell the Standalone what MAP sensor you are using - they all look the same to the engine management system!

The Management System will take this signal, convert it to kPa (kilopascals), and look up the single most important table in a system of this type (this type is known as a Speed Density system) - the Volumetric Efficiency table.

Remember how I said there is more than one way to skin a cat? Ok, good - read on.

Volumetric Efficiency and the VE Table
I have found that VE tables in standalone systems operate in one of two ways:

Way #1 Once you have input your fueling parameters, the standalone will basically 'zero out' your VE table at one half your maximum fuel flow, and call this value 0. Adding more to a cell in the table (say, from 0 to 10) will add X% more fuel. Removing some from the cell (say, from 0 to -10) will remove X% fuel at that point. Some of you have seen this in an SAFC - same basic principle.

Way #2 From an engineering standpoint, this is my preferred method of viewing the VE tables. Often referred to as 'Absolute VE' - in this form, you input the ACTUAL Volumetric Efficiency at each point. If the engine at 600rpm / 22kPa is 54% efficient, then you put 54 in as the value. I love this because I always felt that moving the fueling up and down from a baseline, was too similar to 'fudging' - BUT - you will find cars running better than stock, both ways, so use whichever method your Management System supports, and you are most comfortable with.

However your EMS handles it, when using a MAP sensor, the EMS will read current rpm vs load (which is directly related to current manifold pressure), look up the VE table, and read off what the data in the cell says should be there for fuel needs.

When using a direct reading, the EMS just looks up how much air is flowing vs frequency or voltage, and add that amount of fuel.

Spark
Spark is easy. You'll tell the EMS if you are DIS or if you are using a distributor. You'll also input any available parameters, such as spark dwell, maximum rpm, etc. You'll also need to put in any relevant information regarding coil-on-plug, wasted spark, what ignition module (ignitor) is being used, that kind of thing.

Timing
Timing is handled either mechanically (distributor with weights/springs) or electronically (DIS, computer controlled distributor).

The basic idea with timing is simple - you want to ignite the proper amount of fuel, per amount of air coming into the engine, at the point you will create the most usable pressure on the piston (and hence, the rod and crankshaft)

Timing tables are usually split up, depending on whether you are at idle, part throttle, or WOT (wide open throttle).

The biggest secret I'm going to give you all on timing is this - MTBT - Minimum Timing for Best Torque.

Dammit I am starving - I'll be back later to write more (unless Joe tells me to STFU)

turbo joe

Aug 14, 2007
Corona, CA
www.turbojoe.com
7thousandpiecesMGTE;991018 said:
very good info, thanks for taking your time to write it.

one question with a map sensor - is the "absolute pressure" in the manifold the sum of the static pressure and velocity pressure?

"Absolute Pressure" (PSIA) is not relative to ambient or atmospheric pressure, it's the pressure relative to zero. The "absolute" pressure at sea level is approximately 14.7psi. "Gauge pressure" (PSIG) at sea level would be "0".

10psi of manifold pressure at seal level would be approximately 24.7psi absolute. Your boost gauge would read 10psi, but your MAP sensor would read 24.7psi.

It's actually a bit simpler than thinking of vacuum and pressure as two different things...vacuum is just less pressure. When you use PSIA, everything is in the same units (PSIA, Kpa, mm/hg or mB or whatever you use), rather than being in inches of mercury (or whatever) for vacuum, then switching scales as soon as you exceed ambient pressure.

7thousandpiecesMGTE

Boostin USA
Apr 9, 2007
Harford County, Maryland
turbo joe;991089 said:
"Absolute Pressure" (PSIA) is not relative to ambient or atmospheric pressure, it's the pressure relative to zero. The "absolute" pressure at sea level is approximately 14.7psi. "Gauge pressure" (PSIG) at sea level would be "0".

10psi of manifold pressure at seal level would be approximately 24.7psi absolute. Your boost gauge would read 10psi, but your MAP sensor would read 24.7psi.

It's actually a bit simpler than thinking of vacuum and pressure as two different things...vacuum is just less pressure. When you use PSIA, everything is in the same units (PSIA, Kpa, mm/hg or mB or whatever you use), rather than being in inches of mercury (or whatever) for vacuum, then switching scales as soon as you exceed ambient pressure.

right, I phrased the question wrong. I understand what absolute pressure is and how it is different from atmospheric or ambient pressure.

what I should have asked was when the map sensor takes a pressure reading is it only reading the static pressure in the manifold but accounts for the dynamic/velocity pressure before sending the signal to the ECU or EMS? Or is it only the static pressure value sent?

Just curious.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
There should be no velocity pressure, considering the MAP sensor is read off a hose that is generally directly away from the flow of air through the motor.

chevyeater

wastegate hose is pulled
Mar 30, 2005
Long Island, NY
7thousandpiecesMGTE;991118 said:
right, I phrased the question wrong. I understand what absolute pressure is and how it is different from atmospheric or ambient pressure.

what I should have asked was when the map sensor takes a pressure reading is it only reading the static pressure in the manifold but accounts for the dynamic/velocity pressure before sending the signal to the ECU or EMS? Or is it only the static pressure value sent?

Just curious.

RPM accounts for velocity in the speed density equation. Pressure is just pressure.

7thousandpiecesMGTE

Boostin USA
Apr 9, 2007
Harford County, Maryland
Doward;991301 said:
There should be no velocity pressure, considering the MAP sensor is read off a hose that is generally directly away from the flow of air through the motor.

This makes sense as far as the reading/measurement goes, but wouldn't velocity pressure still be exerted in the manifold as long as the air is in motion?

::dead horse::

i know, i know I'll stop beating Mr Ed now, it really doesnt matter; A signal is sent and the ECU/EMS knows what it is and what to do with it. Sorry to junk up the thread, like I said, just curious........ my brain hurts now :biglaugh: