fuel cut defender

ofer

Sep 15, 2012
israel
hi there,

got an mk3 sup with 1jzgte vvti and the r154.

havent ran into any trouble yet...but probably soon with raise the boost a little.
is the "fcd" recomended? or are there are other ways to do?

thanks,
ofer

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
The FCD for the 7M is a really bad way to avoid Fuel Cut. I'm sure the 1JZ FCD is similar if not exactly the same. For the 7M the FCD "hides" signals from the AFM to trick the ECU into thinking it's not quite at Fuel Cut level air flow. My understanding is that this inhibits your ability to tune worth a damn and can lead to damaging conditions.

The right way to get around Fuel Cut is to use a piggyback system to properly manage the ECU signals.

ofer

Sep 15, 2012
israel
ok

so if i wanna go slowly right night and cant spend the money for external engine managment,
i just wanna raise the boost to the 14-15 psi.
i know that probably with the original 370cc it will cut off...

heard advice not to use the apexi afc2 because it can damage the cylinder by heating it (because of the timing changing)

so if i will put a 440cc injectors from a 2jzgte....will it be better (fuel cut meaning)?

thanks,
ofer

Radial

Aug 20, 2011
Norway
I'd say stay out of the FCD route. Especially since this is a AFM engine, not MAP based as the old 1JZ.
You wont achieve much, exept wasting money because tricking with AFM signals does not work direcly as with MAP. On a MAP setup you only trick with the pressure signal to the ECU, temperature probe (IAT) is not affected.

On a hot day a MAF might hit your boost cut much different than on a cold day because of the workings of your MAF (A heated electrical wire being cooled by the passing air= MAF Measurement).

VVTi's should go standalone straight away IMO. + Wideband of course.
The Apexi Power FC's aren't that expensive, and also plug&play for this engine. It gives you sooooo much more control of whats going on.

If you are very good with electronics, you could save some money by solder in any aftermarked ECU as well, but you need to have good electrical skills to make it work.
Most aftermaked ECU's support VVTI's. The 1J and 2J VVTi trigger pattern is the same....on MS we therefore use the same software decoder for both engines.

ofer

Sep 15, 2012
israel
i dont have the apexi power fc,
but my friend gave me his apexi afc...i dont know if i should connect it or not.... a friend scared me that because of the vvti it can cause cylinder over heating.
so havent decided yet.

of corse, the future goal is for the standalone ecu.....but in the meanwhile i wanna know what i can do to raise the boost (no more then 1 bar (14-15psi) with minimum fuel cut off....
maybe having 440cc injectors will help a little?

thanks,
ofer

thevork

ShoarmaTeam Member
only connect the s-afc when you have the wideband output ready to check your adjustments.
preferably, have an egt probe tapped into your exhaust manifold for even more insurance.

at least, that's what I did. it doesn't help fuel cut much even with my bigger injectors (440cc)
i'm going to get an FCD and be done with it. that's what everyone does that is not going to go standalone soon.

scmaluco

May 16, 2012
BayArea
ofer;2066883 said:
ok

so if i wanna go slowly right night and cant spend the money for external engine managment,
i just wanna raise the boost to the 14-15 psi.
i know that probably with the original 370cc it will cut off...

heard advice not to use the apexi afc2 because it can damage the cylinder by heating it (because of the timing changing)

so if i will put a 440cc injectors from a 2jzgte....will it be better (fuel cut meaning)?

thanks,
ofer

I ran a safc on my single turbo hx35. With 550cc injector boosting14 psi All day... U won't be able to run 440s on the 1jz without a fuel controller. It will be way too rich.. And there's a lot of guys making good power running a safc. Buy a map ecu 2 . I just sold mine for 250. Pretty cheap I upgraded to a map ecu 3.