front suspension creaking + right turn lock metal on metal sound?

old skool

Apr 17, 2009
Milwaukee
when i come to a quick stop and ease off the brake pedal almost as it's about to rebound, i get a creak similar to the sound of the pads rubbing on the rotors on automatic cars when the brake is applied and the car lurches forward. i can feel a little bit of something going on in my steering wheel. i think this is connected to a harsh and raspy metal on metal sound (also similar to a creaking noise) when my wheel is locked all the way to the right and the front right suspension is compressed while moving (like when pulling into a driveway). i get that same light "tap" in the steering wheel when accelerating in a straight line from a full stop and also right after i shift into second and hit the gas. what could be loose/broken?

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I have a very similar problem; When i come to a stop, and then begin moving again, I get a metallic 'click' that I can hear from the front suspension, and can feel it slightly in the steering wheel. I've checked the swaybar links, and the inner and outer tierod ends are recent, so I'm having trouble locating it. If you figure it out- let me know.

old skool

Apr 17, 2009
Milwaukee
do you also get that wretched sound when the wheel is locked to one side when going over a bump or braking? i dont want anything to just fall off or have some sort of catastrophic failure. i had the car "once-overed" after i got it but nothing concerning any thing suspension was brought up. there is obviously something wrong though.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
The sound from full turn might be from the steering stops. On most cars the rubber/plastic stops are completely gone. You can replace them or simply put a bad of grease on the metal knob.

Worked for me. ;)

Here is a pic of it.

MCL009A.gif

It's item number 43212C

termn8r2000

I'LL BE BACK..........
Apr 14, 2007
Indianapolis, IN
I had a similar situation when in a tight turn on my '89T. The steering would make a "popping" sound and I could feel the pulsation in the wheel. I found that both lower front ball joints had at least 1/8" of vertical movement alowing me to lift the spindle / rotor assembly up an down off of the lower control arm (this is not good). You may check the control arm bushings if you haven't done so.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
old skool;1350961 said:
do you also get that wretched sound when the wheel is locked to one side when going over a bump or braking? i dont want anything to just fall off or have some sort of catastrophic failure. i had the car "once-overed" after i got it but nothing concerning any thing suspension was brought up. there is obviously something wrong though.

suprarx7nut;1350982 said:
The sound from full turn might be from the steering stops. On most cars the rubber/plastic stops are completely gone. You can replace them or simply put a bad of grease on the metal knob.

Worked for me. ;)

Here is a pic of it.

MCL009A.gif

It's item number 43212C

Winner for full lock creak.

As for the other one, go over everything with a fine tooth comb. :)