front end rebuild

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
im looking to freshen up the front end. i have allot of slop in the steering and im pretty sure its the driver side lower ball joint and/or tie rod end. it gets really annoying and scary at higher speeds.so far this is what i will be replacing...

lower ball joints, both sides
energy suspension bushing kit for the front
steering rack bushing
both tie rod ends
goodridge lines from my first supra
all camber bolts and washers
rack spacers
rack dust boots

do i have everything covered? when i installed my tiens last week i noticed the front did not want to move freely so i know for sure my camber bolts are siezed:nono:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
mecevans;1405655 said:
im looking to freshen up the front end. i have allot of slop in the steering and im pretty sure its the driver side lower ball joint and/or tie rod end. it gets really annoying and scary at higher speeds.so far this is what i will be replacing...

lower ball joints, both sides
energy suspension bushing kit for the front
steering rack bushing
both tie rod ends
goodridge lines from my first supra
all camber bolts and washers
rack spacers
rack dust boots

do i have everything covered? when i installed my tiens last week i noticed the front did not want to move freely so i know for sure my camber bolts are siezed:nono:

Did you pull the lower arms to install the shocks?
(there's no need to)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
mecevans;1405664 said:
nope just upper arm and bolt. very easy.

The way the lower bushes work there will always be resistance to movement, they're bonded and once you lock up the camber adjusters with it on the ground you are flexing the bonded rubber centre, Poly bushes move "freer".

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
Zumtizzle;1405659 said:
You're sure on steering rack?

This job in itself will make you wanna shoot yourself.

the bushing? i was thinking of just doing it so once i get an alignment i dont have to worry about it ever again. seems most of the horror stories about these bushings is because it was done on the ground.

i actually have an extra complete front subframe so i will be pulling it all out most likely and using the best part out of the two. i also want to powdercoat it all.

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
IJ.;1405669 said:
The way the lower bushes work there will always be resistance to movement, they're bonded and once you lock up the camber adjusters with it on the ground you are flexing the bonded rubber centre, Poly bushes move "freer".

it felt pretty damn stiff. like if i where to hang on to the arm with my body wieght it would barely move and once i let go it would always spring back to that original position . its actually supposed to be like that? does it affect the bound/rebound?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Yep that's how it's meant to be.

1500kg car it would barely be noticable

BUT if you ibstall shocks with them undon then tighten them and put the car on the ground you run out of rotation and it tears the centres out of the bushes.

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
i got my parts from DM and i have a few questions. where can i get the steering rack boots? i tried vatozone without any success. while there i was looking at grease for the bushings. mobil 1 synthetic any good?

edit:

i also have no idea what to tell them when i get it aligned.what should i look for in an alignment shop? car will be autoX 2 days a month, and 1 out of my 2 DD vehicles.

Last edited:

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
mecevans;1439027 said:
i also have no idea what to tell them when i get it aligned. what should i look for in an alignment shop? car will be autoX 2 days a month, and 1 out of my 2 DD vehicles.

It's my considered opinion that you should find a shop that runs their own race cars to align your car, especially if you've put in polyurethane bushings. They will understand that 1/2° or 0.002" makes a difference and a good alignment is more than simply getting the car within spec. Plus, their machine will be better maintained and calibrated.

Asterix

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
Asterix;1439308 said:
It's my considered opinion that you should find a shop that runs their own race cars to align your car, especially if you've put in polyurethane bushings. They will understand that 1/2° or 0.002" makes a difference and a good alignment is more than simply getting the car within spec. Plus, their machine will be better maintained and calibrated.

Asterix

there is a ferrari shop here. think that will do?

got my ball joints in today! what i difference.:icon_razz

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
Unless they race the ferrari's then no.

Find a shop that will suggest good specs for your car or a shop that will align the car to your specs.

But then again, you just have lowering springs on a supra. And it sounds like a daily driver. So it's probably not that critical. I mean it should still get done, but I would spend too much extra money.

Just saying.

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
Wiisass;1442399 said:
Unless they race the ferrari's then no.

Find a shop that will suggest good specs for your car or a shop that will align the car to your specs.

But then again, you just have lowering springs on a supra. And it sounds like a daily driver. So it's probably not that critical. I mean it should still get done, but I would spend too much extra money.

Just saying.

i dont want to spend no more than $100 on a 4 wheel alignment.