front 6.5"

jrot

Apr 11, 2010
knob noster, MO
im having a hell of a time finding any good info on doing the swap to 6.5" speakers in the front of a pre 91...ive seen all the threads on it but no pics or advice....how is it done and does anyone have pics? are the door panels different or not? need help before i make an order on new speakers....i dont have the tools to make my own baffles or boxes...or pics of how you made it work maybe i could figure it out with some insperation.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
The door panels are different as well as the speaker boxes/mounts/baffles/whatever you want to call them.

Both door panels and boxes from a 91/92 will fit in an 86-90. I'm under the impression the boxes will even fit behind the 86-90 panels but a huge portion of the speaker will be covered by the door.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
The pods bolt on, but you have to modify the connectors, no big deal done it on my 89 and 86.5...

Everything fits under the 86.5-90 panels, and yes a portion is covered, but nothing dramatic at all...

The only panels you can swap on and look stock, are blue 91/92 panels, as that's the only color available every single year (I'm lucky my 89 has 92 blue panels and I'm sourcing blue 91/92 panels for my 86.5)...

jrot

Apr 11, 2010
knob noster, MO
cool ordered some of the kevinM replicas from a guy on here so thats all sorted but im curious now about the retro spec rear door pods...anyone used them? why cant i just cut the trim peice in the rear to fit 6.5's also?