Fried some steaks now time for oil change?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
When I 1st read this, I thought it was a joke ;)

It is not rated by API...therefore, it does not have the SM rating. Pay close attention to how they word it:

G.E.T. said:
G-OIL is the “GREEN ALTERNATIVE” for ordinary engines as well as high performing gasoline engines that require API Service SM...… satisfaction guaranteed!

They say it's for engines that "require" the SM rating...they never say it's an API SM oil. You have to pay attention to marketing BS here in the USA...you'll also see other phrasing like "meets API SM requirements", but it does not have the API symbol on the bottle.

Personally, I'll let the tree huggers test this out for me 1st ;)

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
That's a step in the right direction...looks like it's for only the 5W-30 right now. I would like to see some more specific data on the oil. The company does not publish a spec sheet on their oil as far as I can see. Tests on how well it resists breaking down and how well it stays in viscosity grade would be very helpful.

I don't have a problem with bio-products...some of them are quite good. I use bio-diesel in my Excursion...it eliminates the problem the new low sulfur diesel has with properly lubricating injectors (causing failure) and other rubber fuel parts/seals. In fact, it does a better job than the old diesel and results in a huge reduction in soot.

The problem is the hype with bio-products...every company is rushing them to market and making all kinds of claims. You don't know what the truth is and what's a misrepresentation of fact. (call me skeptical)

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
What type of Bio-Diesel are you running and how much a gallon are you getting it for?

I've been running mine on the low sulfur stuff and when I'm not out of it, I put in an additive.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
It's actually at a Safeway store nearby (B20) and is the same price (or a bit less) than diesel at other locations. My wife shops at Safeway and she gets 10% off on gas/diesel purchases.

Bio-diesel has a higher cetane, but slightly lower BTU content than regular diesel. It's also a much better solvent...if you switch over, make sure you change the fuel filter/water separator more frequently the 1st few tanks/months. It will dissolve any varnish/crud in the fuel system.

My Powerstroke likes it...it seems to run a lot smoother and less "rattle" when cold. I just got emissions done, the soot level was <3%...the std in AZ is 35%. The stuff burns very clean and that helps oil to last longer (less soot). It does get a tiny bit less mileage (15.7 MPG vs 16) than regular diesel due to the lower energy content. I can live with that.