Forge Motorsport FMDVS013B Bypass Valve Review

loc182

Jul 3, 2013
Grove City, Ohio
This is my first review of a part, so please feel free to send feedback or corrections my way to help make it better!

The Problem

Like many before me, I discovered that my stock bypass valve (17670-42010) was completely dead. I looked into the Bosch replacement, but due to availability and costs I opted instead for the model made by 034 Motorsport.
(Before buying I confirmed with them that their product was a valid replacement for Bosch part number 0 280 142 110.)
https://store.034motorsport.com/034...-for-audi-volkswagen-1-8t-2-2t-2-7t-4-2t.html

This replacement is a very large item, and I never liked the look of it in my car. Additionally, the vacuum line connection was awkward, and I didn't like having a piston instead of a diaphragm.

Finding a Solution - Researching the Forge Motorsport FMDVS013B Bypass Valve

As luck would have it, I started working with some Subaru guys, and they told me of the Forge Motorsport bypass valve, model number FMDVS013B. Upon seeing the valve, I was hooked, as it looked so similar to the Toyota part!
http://www.forgemotorsport.com/Suba...nal_Replacement_Dump_Valve--product--791.html

The Toyota and Forge valves have a very similar profile:
ComparisonEdit.jpg

I began researching the valve, and then contacted Forge Motorsport with an explanation of my interest. I included measurements of the inner diameters of the stock connecting hoses, and the overall length of the Toyota part. I also noted that the Toyota part handled approximately 10 psi of pressure. (At this time I do not recall where I got that psi figure, but I believe I found it somewhere here on Supramania. Feel free to correct me!)

Forge Motorsport confirmed that the outer diameter of both ends of their valve were 19mm, though they would not tell me its overall length, or the maximum boost pressure it could handle. From researching the engines the Forge valve was made for, I determined that it should handle 11.5-13psi, which seemed acceptable, as I have read about stock 7M-GTEs seeing 12psi with basic intake and exhaust modifications.

Applying the Solution

I felt good about the research, so I finally ordered the Forge valve in July 2015! At the same time I also bought both of the stock bypass valve hoses from Toyota, as well as the vacuum line. And because I am OEM crazy, I also bought all new retaining clips for both ends of all three hoses.

Upon receiving the valve I found that it was about 1 cm longer than the Toyota one, so I cut 5 mm off of each hose at the yellow marking.
(Here is a bit where I must apologize. I cannot find my notes on the comparison I made. I am 99% sure the length difference was 1 cm, but in the back of my mind 8 mm keeps coming up. So the total length difference might have been 8 mm instead of 1 cm. Sadly I cannot find my Toyota bypass valve to remeasure.)

I then installed it, which was a breeze. It fit perfectly, and as an added bonus, the top can be positioned so that the vacuum line connection can be oriented in any direction. I rotated mine away from the engine a bit to reduce the bend in the vacuum line.

I did all this in July 2015, and I have had no problems. Now I have probably not driven more than 500 miles in the past year, so I guess that is not much of a test, but I am very happy with the performance of the valve. The piece of mind of having a diaphragm is huge as well, and Forge Motorsport sells replacements, making for easy maintenance!

Although I will just stay at stock boost, Forge Motorsport also sells a spring kit, which allows for fine tuning of the valve to your higher boosting needs.

Here is an image of the valve after the simple disassembly.
The diaphragm is in the upper left, resting on the top of the valve:
InternalsEdit.jpg

Some Nitpicking

The valve does have a couple of drawbacks. The first is the price. At $150 it is a bit expensive, but considering the diaphragm can be replaced I think it is a good investment. The second is just my OEM OCD, and that is that the valve says "Forge" on the top. This has been cut into the top of the valve, but once I find a way to cover it, I will! Still, both of these issues are pretty minor in the grand scheme of things.

Final Thoughts

While I cannot speak for how the Forge valve handles boost up to and beyond 30 psi with the spring kit, as a stock 7M-GTE owner I have been very happy with it. Being able to use stock hoses and keep the stock look are huge positives for me, and the performance has been identical to the 034 Motorsport Bosch replacement I had been using.

I have also read that the real Bosch valves could make a "hooting" sound, but there are no odd noises coming from the Forge valve.

So if you are looking to replace the stock bypass valve and don't mind the costs, I highly recommend the Forge Motorsport FMDVS013B!

Here is a before and after comparison.
Left is the Bosch style valve from 034,
right is the Forge valve.
(Sorry that the angles are different!)
CompEdit.jpg

Last edited:

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
Sounds like a good product for people that don't want to run a vented bypass valve.

Thanks for posting the review.

I was looking at their wastegate actuators for a replacement to the stock actuator (it would need a custom bracket of course). It seems like a quality product.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Very good review. The biggest thing that I'd like to see on any of these valves is data - flow and pressure. My Bosch BPV (like your before pic) hoots quite a bit and it gets old if I'm at partial boost on and off for a while. I also came across Forge and was eyeing their pieces. I had not seen yours though. I love that it fits the factory hoses so well.

loc182

Jul 3, 2013
Grove City, Ohio
Enraged: I spoke to a lot of the car guys I worked with and everyone gave Forge Motorsport a glowing review :) I only wish I had found them before I bought the 034 valve. (The 034 valve was of quality construction, just not ideal for my application.)

suprax7nut: Sadly I don't have any flow or pressure information, but if someone local has testing gear I would let them take a look so that we can get the info. I too loved that this thing worked with the factory hoses!

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
Nice writeup.

I've been running a Forge valve for about 10 years now. (my original review)

The one I have is a bit bigger and didn't use the stock hoses but I can say that these things are built like a tank.