ForcedTorque is finally driving every day!

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I can't seem to get my 92 to ever run right, so my need for a daily driver has finally overcome the importance of getting it perfect. I picked up a really nice 2002 Celica GT on Friday. It's just a GT, so only 140HP, but it has the action package to make it look fast anyway. Only 102K on this one, wjich is actually more than on my 92 Supra. It'll help keep the miles off the Supra, but hopefully they won't pile up too bad on the Celica in the process.

Today, I used a coat of headlight restorer on it, and scraped off the old dead tint from the backglass. I couldn't see anything but headlights through that glass. Took me 3 hours to scrape it all off. I know doing that may have killed my defroster, but I feel like it's more important to see all the time, and I'll just deal with the dew with the rear wiper if need be. Ice isn't usually a problem in south Alabama.

First gas mileage check put me somewhere in the neighborhood of 30mpg. I filled it up, but didn't reset my trip odometer right away. It might have been 5-10 miles before I reset it. I refilled at 87 miles on the clock, meaning either 87, 92, or 97 miles. It took 3.05 gallons to get refilled. At only 87 it would be 28.5mpg, and I know there was more than that. 97 miles comes out to 31.8mpg.

The car is fun to drive, but lacks in the power department pretty bad. No plans for any upgrades on this one, as it is going to be depended on for everyday driving.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
IJ.;1866501 said:
LEAVE IT ALONE :)
(gotta have a reliable daily driver)
+11ty billion. ;)

Too bad you got the auto though. Might not be such a big deal on the GT, but the GT-S with the auto is such a tease. You can only use the VVT-I function in 1st gear on American roads legally haha... 2nd gear doesn't hit the sweet spot of the 2zz until after highway speed limits. Kinda lame... Oh well, gets good mileage and should prove to be a good car! I dig the way it looks. :)

bhmsupra;1866540 said:
Scott - are you saying you used a coat of headlight restorer on the entire car?
Was curious about this as well... although it seems like you might have been referring to the cheap purple tint that people put on cars? I hate that crap... cost me a defroster too when I had mine re-done.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
ForcedTorque;1866797 said:
Two different tasks, but grouped together in one sentence to confuse you guys.
Well done! I dunno about you, but I can't look both left and right, had me fooled! :p

Clint

AzSupras
Apr 4, 2005
Mesa, Arizona, United States
I saw it on facebook, first glance I thought it was a GT-S but the wheels are a dead give away, I have a 2000 GT-S with a slushbox and like Brad said they are a tease as Brad should know as he has driven mine a couple of times. I have almost 200k on mine and just doing regular oil/filter changes, haven't needed to do anything else, haven't even touched the spark plugs since we bought it with 80k miles on and it still get around 30+mpg.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Clint;1867083 said:
I saw it on facebook, first glance I thought it was a GT-S but the wheels are a dead give away, I have a 2000 GT-S with a slushbox and like Brad said they are a tease as Brad should know as he has driven mine a couple of times.
Really nice handling though, always did like driving it when I got to. Usually when my crap was broken haha...

Thought you guys had to replace some of the engine/trans mounts at one point?

ForcedTorque;1867255 said:
That's all good to hear Clint. How do you drive it? I doubt mine will see a whole lot of abuse
Honestly, I'm starting to lean toward the 1zz being one of the legendary Toyota engines. Buddy of mine had one in his Corolla and beat the hell out of it on a regular basis. Even accidentally dropped it from 5th into 2nd on the highway one time... made an awfully beautiful sound (I figure it was probably upwards of 10k rpm wise haha... :nono: ), but that car is still running like a clock, consistent and reliable. :)