first time at the drag stip.

Bathory

Apr 25, 2006
Massachusetts
I managed to get to the drag strip for the first time ever last night. New England Dragway, in New Hampshire. I was coming from south of Boston so it took forever and a day to get there due to traffic, and whats worse is I only had one race, due to my someone that was with me having to leave.

Anyhow, not much done to the car, newly rebuilt motor, BIC DDP, and Tanabe exhaust, minus catalytic converter. Also have lex afm, 550 injectors and walbro fuel pump installed. Turbo is boosting to 10psi. Im still using the w-58 tranny with a shitty spec stage 3 clutch.

Even though it was my first race it was a pretty piss poor display. I was completely taken by suprise by the whole light thing, And had a horrible "launch" that resulted in nothing but spinning tires in ftrst gear. After that the car took off, until I shifted into fourth gear, at which point the clutch started to slip so I had to let off a bit. I was going to go again because I think I could have easily knocked some time off of that by getting a good launch etc. but then I had to leave. As far as the clutch slipping goes im not sure, I had problems with it before, but never recently, until tonight. I will be swapping in my r154 soon, at which point I will get a better clutch setup.

All comments, suggestions, and what have you are more than welcome.

Attachments

• scan2.jpg
    scan2.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 104

boost PSSH boost

SM's Welding Guru
Apr 4, 2005
Marshall, WI
Don't worry about leaving with the light....if you're just there for timed runs, not bracket racing or anything, take your time and launch when you're ready.

I usually sit building boost at the tree after it hits green...it doesn;t affect your ET...just the reaction time.

dbsupra90

toonar
Apr 1, 2005
indiucky
boost PSSH boost said:
Don't worry about leaving with the light....if you're just there for timed runs, not bracket racing or anything, take your time and launch when you're ready.

I usually sit building boost at the tree after it hits green...it doesn;t affect your ET...just the reaction time.

agreed. just need to practice on the 60'. that will really get the et down. generally 1/10th improvement in 60' will translate to 2/10th improvement in et.

congrats on getting your first run behind you! so many people dont even do that in fear of looking "dumb". just keep at it, you'll get to know what the car likes.

Bathory

Apr 25, 2006
Massachusetts
Thanks for the replies. I cant wait to go back, next time I go I will need to leave much earlier to avoid traffic and to let the car cool down a lot before I actualy race, that should keep the clutch from slipping like it was. I need lots more work on my launching and then I should be able to get a much better time I hope.

RTA Supra

MA70 Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2005
Tampa, FL
cool down time makes SUCH a big difference. My low 13 second runs were all after letting the car cool down for at least 30 mins plus staging wait. Get that 60' down like everyone's saying and it'll come down naturally.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
alright! another MA supra owner!
good trap for the e.t., head up friday night! I'm thinking of running my subaru again. high 16's here i come! ;)

Bathory

Apr 25, 2006
Massachusetts
haha where in MA are you? I hope to be able to go back soon, Im just finishing up a few things on the car, then it should be good to go. Ill let you know next time I plan on going up. You cant miss my car, its a combination of dark green and a mostly white front end lol.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
hell yea good run, have you dynoed your car???

i didnt know your et wasnt measured until you left no matter how long you take after the green, last time i was there ( first time) i just took off without building any boost right on green and got the same rt and 60ft as you.

next time screw the other lane, im gonna build boost and just get a good 60ft.

91T breezen'

ROMNEY/RYAN 2012
Apr 4, 2005
NOYFB!
Bathory said:
After that the car took off, until I shifted into fourth gear, at which point the clutch started to slip so I had to let off a bit. I was going to go again because I think I could have easily knocked some time off of that by getting a good launch etc. but then I had to leave. As far as the clutch slipping goes im not sure, I had problems with it before, but never recently, until tonight. I will be swapping in my r154 soon, at which point I will get a better clutch setup.

All comments, suggestions, and what have you are more than welcome.

Oh great! That is the clutch I just put in my Supra! My son is racing my car next Friday night (HS drags) So should expect the worst?!
320whp/343tq

Bathory

Apr 25, 2006
Massachusetts
I have not taken the car to a dyno at all yet, I want to do that soon. As far as the clutch is concerned, I still do not know what to make of it. When I first bought it two years ago, It was good at first, and then it would start slipping fairly often.

This last spring when I pulled the motor out to rebuild it I fully intended on getting a new clutch so I could put in the r154 instead of the w58, but I never got around to it, so I just had the flywheel resurfaced, and hoped for the best with that clutch until I could afford the clutch I really wanted. Since putting it back together I have only ever experianced it slip once, and that was when I was at the track. Im assuming it was mostly as a result of sitting in stop and go traffic for an hour and a half prior to getting there. If I had to guess I would say you should not have any problems with the clutch though, I know lots of people that use spec clutches that never have problems with them,