First Supra, but not going to be the last!

AjWit

Boostin without Boost.
Jan 31, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Hello all, my name is Aj, i traded my dsm(95 talon awd), for an 87 Turbo Targa 5-Speed. So far i love it, had the winter snow tires on and kicked the rear out whenever i had the chance, i feel really comfortable sliding in this thing. I recently got some bigger rims and tires to keep me on the road a little better, i fit some 245/50/18's on the rear and they have been gripping/slipping just how i would like them to. I recently put an upgraded upper IC piping kit on with a Turbonetics Raptor BOV, sounds amazing. I removed the air can and put in a 3" Spectre filter on the MAF. Oil, spark plugs, a radiator flush, and an alternator belt and now i'm feeling better about maitenence, timing belt done 20k ago. 200k on car and 7m-gte. Don't know if a HG was ever done but i'm hoping so, a bit tight on cash right now. Other than a HG i would love to get an exhaust done, i have a leak either on the manifold or dp and need to ge that resolved soon, would love a 3" dp, test pipe, and cat back. Again though, trying to fund that. Ill have pictures up soon, real clean mk3!

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Welcome Aj!

You'll find that you will come to love this forum just about as much as you'll come to love your Supra.

You won't have the launching capability of the DSM; but, with a little bit of time and money, you'll suprise them from a roll! Maybe I'm partial...but, the Mk3's look waaaay better than the DSM's do! ;)

My advice with your car is investigate that Head Gasket. If it hasn't been replaced, do it A.S.A.P.! Throw in some ARP's and she should treat you nice for some time!

Again, Welcome!
:)

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Welcome.

Also at the very least check that the stock gasket is retorqued to the proper specs, it's likely it was already replaced at some point with 200k on it but if they got Toyota to do it the torque specs would still be wrong as they've yet to officially recognize it as a problem and change the torque to the proper spec iirc.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Canuckrz;1247861 said:
Welcome.

Also at the very least check that the stock gasket is retorqued to the proper specs, it's likely it was already replaced at some point with 200k on it but if they got Toyota to do it the torque specs would still be wrong as they've yet to officially recognize it as a problem and change the torque to the proper spec iirc.

Think twice about doing a retorque. Depending on the condition of a stock gasket, doing a retorque could induce a BHG.

Toyota did change the Head Bolt Torque spec. Stock ones can be torqued to 70-75 ftlbs. Higher is NOT better!

If you do some thread searching, you'll find LOTS of info on this subject! I suggest doing some research.

I do agree with Canuckrz that it has likely been replaced with 200k; but, don't take our assumptions to the bank. ;)