First Oil Change....EVER!

EcNo

Feb 3, 2009
Tampa, Fl
Well its true. At 25yrs of age I have never changed my own oil. Nor have I ever gotten under a car for a fear it will crush me instantly. Today I changed all that. ALL FOR THE LOVE OF MY MKIII! :-D. and not trusting a random tech touching it.

Thought I would share my experience for anyone who needs a some inspiration!

Getting the oil filter off i no easy task. But in the end after an hour it came off.

K&N oil filter with 6qts Royal purple 5w-30 *I could not find the greenstuff/ GCatrol*

The previous owner had a purolator filter with ???? oil.

Next is tracking down the actual oil leaks dripping from my oil lines-

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You need 1 of these for the oil filter. Takes less than a min
images

Castrol gc is just castrol 0w30 euro formula synthetic. At almost any autozone or pepboys. K&n are decent oil filters, but the pure one purolators are cheaper and better at any pep boys.

Congrats.

EcNo

Feb 3, 2009
Tampa, Fl
thanks. Yeah once i figured out what angle to use the tool i had it came off in a snap. my autozone was fresh out of gc, Only thing in stock was Mobil 1 or Royal purple for full synthetics. also I put in an extra quart, is it normal for it to leak that out :-x

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
If this is a 7m, I always found it easy to get the filter from behind the passenger side engine mount, reach up, and you should have a good shot at it easy enough. Dunno about 2j's, but 1j's are a bit of a pain in their stock form to get at with all the steering crap in the way.

As for capacity, I've generally put about 1 quart OVER the 'full' mark on the dipstick, uses about 6-6.5 qts if I remember correctly. Turns out, if you follow 'the book' on these cars and only put in the 4.5-5qts, then go do a massive burnout, you'll likely starve the engine of oil in #2 and #5. ;)

Elie_Kaze

Banned
Mar 18, 2010
Lethbridge
hvyman;1674935 said:
You need 1 of these for the oil filter. Takes less than a min
images

Castrol gc is just castrol 0w30 euro formula synthetic. At almost any autozone or pepboys. K&n are decent oil filters, but the pure one purolators are cheaper and better at any pep boys.

Congrats.

So, what is that so I can buy one because I want to change my oil filter and I keep hearing its a real pain in the ass.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Its a oil filter wrench. You can get them from snap on matco mac harbor frieght prolyl even autozone or kragen. They make different ones but that one seems to be the easiest.

Its not a pain in the ass either. Atleast not for me. Takes like 2 min and that includes crawling under the car taking filter off crawling back out filling new filter and crawling back under to tighten new filter.
Just look at it before you start trying some funky angle. There is a direct path to the filter with that tool and a 6in extension.

supraguy

Apr 14, 2011
Alberta
Yeah 1JZ's suck for oil filter location. I'm investing in a relocation kit big time. You could probably find a filter wrench at Canadian tire Elie or if you have money you can try napa.