financing questions

whitemike

Banned
Aug 30, 2009
Winter Park, Florida, United States
I agree with the majority. If you're struggling now to get the payments low enough, in a year, two, four.. will you still be making this same amount of money? Are you working min. wage? Is this your career job? If not, will you have it still in a year or two? If you lost your job.. can you make payments for a few months before you find another one?

I financed a car when I was making plenty of money to afford it, and then lost my job after 2 years. I ended up having to sell it for $2k less than I owed on it. Yea, I had to pay $2k to sell my car. I will *never* finance a vehicle again.

-Mike

89TBen

Sep 11, 2006
Mizzou
totaly get what you guys are saying, and im considering waiting. i could afford the payments they want to give me. i just want lower payments. i really really want this car. but i can wait if i have to. i dunno what im gonna do. i really appreciate all the input.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I just regret WHAT I bought, and the specific situation I was in to begin with made it worse, but I wanted that SS bad at the time... I wanted one ever since high school. Well, I got it alright. Great engine, trans, and sound, but the car as a whole, is one big pile of shit. What's worse (probably the biggest reasons I regret buying it) is that I traded in a really nice 2000 Miata with Goodyear GSD3 tires that handled AMAZINGLY and was a perfectly reliable car for something that, while much more powerful, wasn't quite as fast in the type of driving I prefer. Went from a go kart to a car that behaves like a fat kid trying to run a marathon with it's shoes tied together. Doesn't help that 90's/2000's GM's had some serious reliability issues and little issues here and there that make me hate that fucking car, sexy as it might be.

Now, if you're 100% debt free, have a stable, steady job, a determined personality to succeed in life, AND this happens to be your dream car? I wouldn't condemn you for buying it. Just saying, you're risking a lot here, buying a car that expensive... I guess everyone's situation is different, perhaps you should discuss this with a financial adviser as well? You've talked to all the car guys already haha...

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
https://www.penfed.org/productsAndRates/loans/vehicleLoans/usedAutoLoans.asp

I'm going to suggest going for it. I'd wanted a Cobra since I was 12 or 13 and I went and got a loan for my 96 the day I turned 18. Even after I lost my internship at Cummins last summer, the payments were reasonable enough to come up with with odd jobs. Hell, even when it was down for a few months it didn't bother me that much. If it's really what you want, you'll make do when you need to. I also disagree about maintenance and reliability issues, but I'm obviously dealing with a different animal. I drive the wheels off this car just about every time I go anywhere and I've had 0 issues with it. I'd imagine a "bullet proof" MkIV would be a similar situation, especially if left stock or BPU.

I will say the 20% rule is a good idea, I'm making dirt right now and between my payment, insurance and gas I spend over half my income on this car, with mod money taking up the remaining half lol

FullNelson

Sep 17, 2007
Coastal Georgia
My car at the time of financing was about 25% my income. It was however 50% my bills and now that my finances have been rearranged it ha become clear that I should have been more in porportion to the rest of my bills and lifestyle.