Figured id ask

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
I really really have no idea about how to properly size a turbo, what a/r means and what dictates me getting a smaller or larger a/r,what is a divided housing, when a turbo is rated for 750 horsepower is that the maximum horsepower it will see at its highest efficiency before you start blowing hot air, or is this the number that gives you a rough estimate to when your turbo will blow itself to smithereens. I am very inexperienced on picking a turbo and would like some help to better understand what all these numbers mean. I Pm'ed MDC about this but figured I'm not the only one who doesn't understand this everyone can benefit, if you see this after my PM MDC sorry for making you do double the work. And for any help i may get thank you.

NoLimitslja

Feb 7, 2011
Central FL.
A very good read for anyone looking for the same info as you would be the Garrett catalog, not only does it have every turbo they make and charts and graphs on where and when to use them but in the beginning of the catalog there is a VERY informative couple of sections "Terbo Tech; How to Choose the Right Turbo - Gasoline" and "Turbo Basics" should provide most of the answers you're looking for. Here is the link to the download,

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/productcatalog

I would suggest reading everything in these sections not just the parts about the turbos but also how intercoolers, blow off valves, and wastegates work as well. Good luck!