FFIM?

danysbanshee

Jan 18, 2008
maine
Hey guys I have a 87 that iam rebuilding my motor on. Iam thinking about a FFIM. Iam going to upgrade to 3" exhaust no cats and run new intercooler pipes with a free flowing filter. Iam also going to push the boost up to 12 or so. Run some 550cc injectors with a new fuel pump. So how much gain will I see from the FFIM? Also is there anything underthe hood I can eliminate to clean it up alittle? EGR etc....

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
If you run 550's you should get the Lex AFM, that way it will even out, but i think you also need a fuel pump and FPR to go with it... But you should see most of the gains from the shortened IC piping.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
FPR= fuel pressure regulator

woo hoo... my thirty seven thousand dollars in tuition is actually beneficial to myself and possibly others.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
The response is quicker from shorter intercooler pipes, not better. Unless you are running stock pipes. Then it is both.

The engine does not care if the manifold is facing one way or another, unless you have a really bad layout. The size of the plenum, and the length and size of the runners determine its power producing properties.

danysbanshee

Jan 18, 2008
maine
The car is all stock at the moment. I got it for free with a bad headgasket. Hoping to have it running within a month or so.

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
you probably wont see a difference with a ffim until your making a lot more power. your money would be better spent elsewhere like suspension or brake upgrades. if your building your car to go fast.... you better be able to stop.

joel903

Apr 6, 2005
Conover,NC
yeah, ffim is to complicated.

alternator relocation yada yada, just stick with the stock intake maifold and call it a day.

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
FFIM is worth every penny, it is more than likely a lot lighter than the stock intake manifold, looks 100x better, and is 10x easier to work on, also to clean up the by get rid of the cruise control and windsheild washing unit.

danysbanshee

Jan 18, 2008
maine
Iam not buying a FFIM. Iam building my own. I have pretty good fab skills from growing up at a shop and building my mud trucks. Once I even shoved a 351 in a suzuki samurai. I did get some bad news today that put some binders on my motor. My head has a crack by a valve. There gonna look a little deeper into it at the machine shop cuz they think it can be welded. Hopefully when I send my block and crank out out in the a.m. I dont get anymore bad news.

j3pz

still learning
could always take out the egr, but thats up to you. id suggest getting a wideband also and then maybe something to do a little a/f control. could also remove the charcoal canister but i would suggest getting a smaller one from a jza70 so the car wont smell like fuel

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
sneakypete;920842 said:
you probably wont see a difference with a ffim until your making a lot more power. your money would be better spent elsewhere like suspension or brake upgrades. if your building your car to go fast.... you better be able to stop.

Trying getting that info through the force field of miss information, such as a few posts later.

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
danysbanshee;921207 said:
Iam not buying a FFIM. Iam building my own. I have pretty good fab skills from growing up at a shop and building my mud trucks. Once I even shoved a 351 in a suzuki samurai. I did get some bad news today that put some binders on my motor. My head has a crack by a valve. There gonna look a little deeper into it at the machine shop cuz they think it can be welded. Hopefully when I send my block and crank out out in the a.m. I dont get anymore bad news.

I don't know if I'd try to weld something like that, you can probably find another head around for a reasonable price..

danysbanshee

Jan 18, 2008
maine
Found one a few hrs away but it sounds iffy on the phone. He says the journals for the cams are scuffed. Who knows what a scuff means.

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
if you want to see a big difference.... get some time of piggyback engine management computer. i saw the biggest results when i got the maftpro with boost control and wideband tracking. even more than when i upgraded the turbo. and you wont even need any afm. just my .02