Factory Alarm Issue 91 Supra w/ 1JZ.

YYCSupra

Getting back in the game
Aug 4, 2014
Alberta
I'm having problems with my alarm system. The car has a non-vvti 1JZ w/ a supra 1JZ ECU running stock twins. Weird thing is that every time I use the key to unlock the door on the drivers side the factory alarm goes off and the car cannot be started for 30 minutes. I know how to reset it so that I can start the car, however it is a PITA that I cannot unlock the door from the driver's side without setting the alarm off. To avoid setting the alarm off I need to open the passenger side which disables the alarm so I can open any door without the alarm going off. Does anyone know how to reverse this so that my key can disable the alarm on the driver's side?

I just bought the car and it has two key fobs that look like the Audi Switchblade ones, I'm hopeful that if I replace the battery in the fob I can just use that to unlock and disable the alarm, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I've been searching for hours with no luck.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
The alarm switch in the drivers door lock is likely bad.

Could also remove the factory alarm.

seoul4korea

Nov 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
www.supraforums.com
hvyman;2025579 said:
The alarm switch in the drivers door lock is likely bad.

Could also remove the factory alarm.

More than likely this, if you set your dome lights to turn on when the doors open you can kind of test it out, try to wiggle them and ee what it does with the lights. I replaced both of mine because of this reason.

YYCSupra

Getting back in the game
Aug 4, 2014
Alberta
Thanks guys,
Seoul4korea what should I wiggle to test what? I think you are saying wiggle the alarm switch and see if the lights come on?

Do you know the part numbers of the alarm switch by chance? I'd like to keep it if possible.

Thx again

YYCSupra

Getting back in the game
Aug 4, 2014
Alberta
I am remembering now that removing those plastic door lock covers are a PITA. Have any suggestions how to remove them without breaking them?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
As was pointed out the cancel switch on the lock mechanism is likely not working. Since the interior illumination and theft deterrent system are separate I also don't understand what the other poster is getting at. Lastly, you don't state whether the key fob operates an aftermarket alarm or if it's simply key-less entry. However, in either case, for it to disarm the factory system it must be wired so as to bring one of the cancel inputs to ground before the latch trigger switch is activated.

YYCSupra

Getting back in the game
Aug 4, 2014
Alberta
Hi Jetjock,
The key FOB I'm not sure what it does yet. I literally picked up the car yesterday. It needs a specialty battery. Funny thing is the fob looks like it is personalized and it says LJ on it. I thought I saw a LJ on here somewhere.

I will pull apart the door and check that alarm trigger thing and see if I can get it working again. I wonder if I can swap the part with the passenger side, do any of you know if they are interchangeable?

Thanks for help guys much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
You may still have to go in there but it'd much less work to measure it first:

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TEWD/MK3/manual.aspx?S=Main&P=122

That section of the book can be confusing due to the poor nomenclature used as well as typos and for those who have an 87 TSRM it's a bigger mess still. That said if you have questions on what does what or how the system operates feel free to ask. Thing to keep in mind is, unlike many cars, triggering is done by an unlocked rather than open door. One example of how well thought out the design is.

seoul4korea

Nov 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
www.supraforums.com
I'm talking about the switches on the body, I believe those are tied into not only the dome light but also the alarm system. They tell the alarm when the door is open or not, I used them to wire in my aftermarket alarm which is where I ran into a problem. I think I just miss understood what you where getting at... but then again I was trying to board an airplane lol

I dont recall part numbers, Toyota has them.

YYCSupra

Getting back in the game
Aug 4, 2014
Alberta
Seems I'm probably better off going aftermarket. I agree, the alarm should be based on door opening not unlocking, bizarre. I replaced the battery in the fob and it did absolutely nothing. I like the immobilizer option though.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
You misunderstood. Unlocking (it's actually unlatching) is imho superior. Anyway, the stock system isn't difficult to repair (it also has immobilizing but better to inhibit the fuel pump rather than the starter, an easy mod) assuming the box is OK. All one needs to do is check each input and go from there. That often leads to the door switches though which can be a hassle to deal with.

rhs

Sep 21, 2014
Dallas
I have a similar issue with my swap. The alarm will turn off if I unplug the horn. Might want to give that a try.

YYCSupra

Getting back in the game
Aug 4, 2014
Alberta
Haha. What I thought might have been my problem was that because the car ECU is from a right handed car that it was thinking the passenger door was being opened, hence the alarm turning on. I'm willing to bet it's the door lock trigger but need to address a few other things on the car first.