F-CON running extremely rich

May 18, 2007
Aarhus
My friend has a MA70 with 7MGTE and 550 cc injectors. Boss jr 57 trim turbo. JDM A/T ECU on a manual car.

We first ran it with a Lexus AFM and it was running extremely rich (AFR 9 or lower) and was cutting out and couldn't boost more than 0.3 bar.

It turned out there was a hugh crack in the intercooler tubing.

Fixed that and it ran AFR 10.3 as the lowest at full boost and pulling strong.

We then added an F-con the other day with the E164 chip and replaced the Lexus AFM with the standard AFM and now the car runs extremely rich again and is cutting out.

The AFR is now again around 9 when it cuts out.

I'm sure there are no more boost leaks.

The funny thing is that right after adding the F-con the car ran exactly like when there was a boost leak and we replaced the Fcon and map-sensor with another one we had and it fixed the problem on the first run.

However, on the second run the problem returned with the new Fcon and map-sensor. Low AFR and cutting out when hitting high boost.

The SW2 was first set to 0 and later we tried turning it up to 5 (I assume it leans it out) but with no change.

What is going on here?

Is AFR around 10.3 at full boost with the lexus AFM normal?

Any idea why the F-con is acting up like this?

We are going to replace the plugs with iridiums but I can't see why it'll run fine with the lexus AFM but not with the Fcon. My friend thinks that maybe the chip isn't the E164 for 550 injector but the one for the 440 injectors. But it written E164 on it and I bought it directly from WOTM.