Exhaust Leak

vpr131

Feb 9, 2012
Orlando, FL
Hey guys,
So I was recently having some boost leak problems and after tighening some clamps on all the hoses I took a quick look underneath the car by the exhaust and noticed that one of the two screws holding the exhaust together was really loose. I tightened it and now my boost leak problem is gone. However, once I push it above 2500-3000 rpms, theres a loud whining noise. It may be that I still have a small leak because the downpipe and exhaust do not match up perfectly since I installed a new turbo and it was bigger than the stock one. Therefore, the downpipe and exhaust are kind of jammed together and not lining up perfectly as they did before. Anyways, I just wanted to hear what you guys have to say because it sounds terrible right now. Thanks

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
We need more information. What Turbo did you install, is the down pipe stock, and is the exhaust stock. Whining will either be a turbo or a small exhaust leak.

vpr131

Feb 9, 2012
Orlando, FL
I installed a 60 trim ct 26 but I installed it about a month ago with no whining. The downpipe is stock and the exhaust was custom welded. I really think its the exhaust because of how the downpipe fits the exhaust because the 60 trim is bigger.

91whitepack

May 23, 2012
slidell, louisiana
vpr131;1844900 said:
I installed a 60 trim ct 26 but I installed it about a month ago with no whining. The downpipe is stock and the exhaust was custom welded. I really think its the exhaust because of how the downpipe fits the exhaust because the 60 trim is bigger.
the only difference i noticed between my 60t ct-26 and my stock one is the compressor houseing is bored bigger for the bigger internals. the turbo side looks exactly the same as my old one.....hmmm

vpr131

Feb 9, 2012
Orlando, FL
Yeah my 60 trim is almost the same size, its just the manifold that is a little bigger that was left on the 60 trim when i put it in. Its not that big of a difference but the downpipe and exhaust dont sit exactly as they should.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You changed the manifold? Stock manifold?

On the outside nothing is different.

Gasket is most likely the issue.

You can have a buddy plug the tail pipe with a towel and get under there. You will be able to hear it. Can also use a bigger hose like 3/4 with it to your ear.

vpr131

Feb 9, 2012
Orlando, FL
Yeah just the stock manifold. And I think your right, the gasket under there was a little sketchy to begin with. And what do you mean by using a bigger hose to my ear?

vpr131

Feb 9, 2012
Orlando, FL
The only thing is that the whining noise is only when the car is moving. When its in neutral and im revving it up to 3k, there is no noise

91whitepack

May 23, 2012
slidell, louisiana
vpr131;1844924 said:
The only thing is that the whining noise is only when the car is moving. When its in neutral and im revving it up to 3k, there is no noise
wonder if its the turbo itself. it sounds like its only doing it under a load.

vpr131

Feb 9, 2012
Orlando, FL
Thats what make me nervous. But if it didnt make the noise before I adjusted the screw on the exhaust, then why would it all of a sudden be bad? It still spools up to around 7psi and holds well