Exact speaker size for the '87 Turbo Supra?

supraemeallah

Dec 21, 2011
Washington DC
I was reading the "speaker sizes" thread and I noticed it talked more about the speaker sizes and locations for '89 supras and up. SO I was wondering what were the speaker sizes for my '87 supra and how many are in the vehicle? If you have an 87 supra and have upgraded the speakers what brand components did you use?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
4" speakers up front, 4" rears. Most of what will fit an 89-90 will fit the earlier cars as well, especially with a bit of creativity. I've seen 6" x 8" speakers in the stock rear pods, with a bit of cutting.

connor.stephens

Nov 17, 2010
Clackamas, OR
you can fit some 5.25" speakers in the rear pods with a little bit of cutting. I recommend it. as far as brands go, Hertz all the way I would not use any other brand of speaker in my car they are pretty spendy but they are worth it. I have an 88 with 6.5" coaxials up front and 5.25" coaxials in the rear.

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
you can get 91/92 speaker pods that bolt up in the stock front doors, that will allow you to run 6.5 inch speakers.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
I have no idea how people fit anything larger than a 5 inch in the rear. I have 5x7s and it was a very close fit. I have a maybe an 1/8th inch of material left on both sides of the speaker pod.

Which kinda makes me think.. I wonder if you could make a custom enclosure that would angle the speakers into the pods. Nah, that'd look dumb haha

sharpsupra

Aug 14, 2011
georgia
depends on how much ya want to spend....if yer onna budget , i put kicker ds 4 inchers in my front doors and the kicker ds 6.5 i put in lil boxes and set em on the rear seat. all for less then 100 bux. sounds darn good too. to me the stock rear location is a poor choice for any speaker LOL

xzeror

Oct 18, 2009
Miramar, FL
kevinm made copies of the 91/92 speaker pods which he sells, otherwise u just gotta troll the forums and look for a set that are on sale.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I have a set of the KevinM replicas, they're quite nice. Check the Group Buy section on here for more info. Quite the nice improvement. Honestly though, best sounding setup I've heard in a Mk3 was my old 88, I had separate boxes that housed some nice 6x9's and a 10" sub. Working now toward making a better sounding setup...

Avicii

Nov 4, 2011
Next door
wow glad i read this post i never even though of mocking up a speaker holder for a larger speaker lol 4inch speaker is really small but i do like where the speaker's are setting even though they are a pain in the ass to get too. what kind of material do you guys recommend? same kind of stuff used for sub boxes?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Avicii;1794501 said:
wow glad i read this post i never even though of mocking up a speaker holder for a larger speaker lol 4inch speaker is really small but i do like where the speaker's are setting even though they are a pain in the ass to get too. what kind of material do you guys recommend? same kind of stuff used for sub boxes?
That's what I used when I had my 88. Boxes that were pre-made for 6x9's, nothing special, bought them at a local speaker shop for relatively cheap. Just had to figure out a way to make them stay put, so I used some sort of small latches for doors/gates to hold them to the sub box, which was heavy enough to stay put. Drop the rear seat and the sound was nice and crisp. It's an option, but be warned it makes getting anything under your trunk panel a pain in the butt.

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
Hi Connor : Could not agree with you more about HERTZ. We are installing 6.5 " in the doors ( larger pods ) + 5 1/4 " in the back rear pods + adding
6.5 " mid low for a little more low hz but did not want woofers , in the sides beside the back seat ( new pods ). Powered by 2 Alpine pdx amps
Deck is double din Alpine w203 .. Hope it sounds good .. .

connor.stephens

Nov 17, 2010
Clackamas, OR
#04;1802661 said:
Hi Connor : Could not agree with you more about HERTZ. We are installing 6.5 " in the doors ( larger pods ) + 5 1/4 " in the back rear pods + adding
6.5 " mid low for a little more low hz but did not want woofers , in the sides beside the back seat ( new pods ). Powered by 2 Alpine pdx amps
Deck is double din Alpine w203 .. Hope it sounds good .. .

its going to sound great!! HERTZ all the way!!!!!