engine swap questions

mnm3_8

Jul 15, 2013
where it rains. A LOT
So, I grabbed a JDM engine to replace the one I have in my sons car, and am replacing a bunch of little items.

Going to replace:
Valve cover gaskets
Water pump
Timing Belt
Swap EGR and throttle body so it should pass emissions
Oil cooler hoses
Every coolant hose
Probably radiator
Thermostat

Anything else that normally has problems that I might have missed?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Welcome!

Those 2 are almost impossible to swap in the car and both are usually dead/dying.

Better to just buy brand new parts and forget about them for the next 20 years, anything second hand will be as bad as your originals.

Racefiend

OH, YEAAHH!
Apr 6, 2005
Bay Area, CA
I got a used set of the metal pipes that run around the block that were stainless steel. If you can find one of those they should be good to go used. I have no idea what year they came in, as it's the only set I've seen that were stainless.

Make sure you replace the short 90 degree coolant line behind the head. That thing is a bitch when it blows on the car. Use a silicone hose for that one and it should never bother you again.

mnm3_8

Jul 15, 2013
where it rains. A LOT
Racefiend;1955908 said:
I got a used set of the metal pipes that run around the block that were stainless steel. If you can find one of those they should be good to go used. I have no idea what year they came in, as it's the only set I've seen that were stainless.

Make sure you replace the short 90 degree coolant line behind the head. That thing is a bitch when it blows on the car. Use a silicone hose for that one and it should never bother you again.

looking at them in the driveway, it looks like they're all rusty. Seems like stainless would be the way to go! I'm gonna have to look for some of those, or have some fabbed.