Engine noise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbsupra90

Banned
Dec 5, 2011
Great Neck, New York
Just curious. I have a 1990 Supra Turbo. It runs beautifully and have had a lot of work done on it. It just seems to have a lot of engine noise in first gear. It gets quieter once you are in 3rd or 4th gear and on the highway. But initially it is quite noisy when I hit the gas. Is this normal in an old Supra? Car has 68,000 miles.

Attachments

• long distance side.jpg
    long distance side.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 16
  • photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 15
  • back of car (5).jpg
    back of car (5).jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 20

pbsupra90

Banned
Dec 5, 2011
Great Neck, New York
A combo of both. It's just sounds like the engine is working hard. Car has no problems with acceleration, stalls, anything.....just a bit noisy. It has been tuned. Perhaps sound deadening material might help. But hey....I don't think it's supposed to be that quiet. It's not a lexus.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
The fan clutch on a 7m can be very loud and higher speeds it doesn't get used so sounds kinda like that.

But a video would help.

You can tell if it's the fan clutch by starting the engine and with the hood up it will be loud for a bit and then it should quiten down. If it never does for the fan the clutch could be going out.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
pbsupra90;1840672 said:
I don't have that much technical knowledge. What is a downpipe. And how does exhaust leak cause such noise?

What noise?

hvyman;1840675 said:
The fan clutch on a 7m can be very loud and higher speeds it doesn't get used so sounds kinda like that.

But a video would help.

You can tell if it's the fan clutch by starting the engine and with the hood up it will be loud for a bit and then it should quiten down. If it never does for the fan the clutch could be going out.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.