EMS 8860 Static Timing..

drewgo

Akuna MaTata...!
Dec 1, 2006
South florida
Searched and search and don't find...
I got a nice tune on my 2j but still breaking my head trying to figure out the purpose of the "Static Timing" under the "Trims" tab.

I am running 85lbs low imp. injectors.....
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

1jzcressida

Oct 13, 2010
Miami FL
static timing is just the base timing, its what the computer refences and then adds what ever timing is added by the actual map, for example if your static timing is 10 degress, and the map at that rpm and load is 20 degress, total timing is going to be 30 degress, adjusting static timing will adjust the entire map

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
You're suppose to set the static timing first. You lock the timing on your laptop, check it the proper way with the two terminals jumpered. Whatever the timing reads, mine was six degrees btdc, you then set your static timing to that. It's pretty simple once you've done it a time or two.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I don't know. Aaron told me that it would probably be at six and it was. When I did Rakkasan's, it too was at six degrees btdc...................:dunno:

drewgo

Akuna MaTata...!
Dec 1, 2006
South florida
I asked Aaron and he told me the same. I will test it but something tells me mine will end up at 6deg.....LOL...
Let's see how the car will run.

jmcboost

Mar 31, 2005
Missouri
Yeah, setting timing in the EMS stinger is more like telling the EMS exactly where the timing is at. As compared to setting it on a stock ecu, where you actually have to adjust the CPS until its at 10deg BTDC at idle.

To check that you have it right, once your done setting it in the EMS, just make sure that the timing that's shown on the EMS is the exact same as you see with your timing light....no matter what RPM your at.

I had mine set wrong at first (retarded 5deg) and once I got it right, it made a huge difference.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
IBoughtASupra;1652634 said:
Why is set to six degrees though? Isn't stock timing 10 degrees or am I being too much of an old school 7M guy that just got a 1JZ?

Honestly, I thought it was 10 degrees as well, that's why I went out and checked it. I don't think that it matters that much with a Stinger ECU, as long as the static and timing map numbers equals what is correct for your motor. 6+20=26 just like 10+16 does. Hopefully Figgie can throw his two cents in and shed a little light on the matter

jmcboost

Mar 31, 2005
Missouri
Here is how I understand it....10 degrees is where you set the stock timing so that your stock ecu is in sync with the static timing. With the EMS Stinger, your just telling the EMS where your timing is at idle. Then it's in sync with your static timing. You'll know when you have you're timing set correctly in the EMS stinger when you can look at the current timing number output (displayed on the laptop) and it matches exactly what your timing light is showing on the crank pulley.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Static timing is a reference for the 8860 to know where the trigger is located relative to crank rotation. Static timing is completely irrelevant to your timing map.

The stock TCCS needs the timing to be set because when the engine is running its under the assumption that the trigger is 10 DBTDC.

The stinger just needs to know where the trigger is so that it can accurately time the engine.

Suprahero: you dont need to jumper any terminals to set the timing as those wires arent connected to the stinger.

Think of it this way, standalone engine management is designed to be universal. Some engines have fixed timing triggers such as 4.6L Ford engines like in the Mustang.

Basicly you set the CPS to whatever is easiest then you set the timing to "locked". You use a basic timing light to see what the timing is (Say 5DBTDC for example). Then you set the stinger to a base timing of 5 Degrees. Now the stinger knows that the trigger is happening at 5 degrees, so to give an ignition timing os 10 degrees it needs to fire the coil 5 degrees after the trigger.

In order for the timing values you set in your ignition map to be accurate you need to have an accurate static timing value. If the static timing is wrong your entire timing map will be off by how ever much the static timing is off by.