Electrical: LS2 Throttle body and Throttle pedal

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Ok,

another electrical post from yours truely. This one is incase someone feels brave.

Disclaimer: I publish this information without any warranties, either expressed or implied. Do not use this post as the final say, use the FACTORY authorized repair manual to get your information! I am not kidding folks! This part if installed incorrectly will, if you are lucky, just crash your car and if you are unlucky, kill you. So you do this at your own RISK if you choose to use this information! This post is to help in gaining knowledge of electrical systems especially for standalone folks that CAN use this! This post is using a MoTeC Mx00 series ECU with the DBW option enabled to illustrate the wiring. Triple check with your EMS manufacture for proper support of DBW!

The point of this thread.

The parts are cheap, even BRAND SPANKING NEW! Especially in North America where GM parts inexpensive new and even cheaper when used. For example. The LS2 Throttle body is about $375 new off of E-bay. The Throttle pedal assembly is $100 at your local GM parts dealer. Probably cheaper elsewhere. :)

I have searched high and low to finally dig up the electrical schematics of the LS2 DBW system (Electronic Throttle Control, ETC). In short it is complicated but the complication is there to save your life ;) It is a REDUNDANT system which uses two signal channels to control the server motor. If one channel fails you still have the other channel left to control the throttle. I was able to find the electrical schematics for the 2006 Chevrolet Corvette which is where this system is pulled from. All parts are new.

First the Throttle body, (pictures labled LS2-DBW & LS2-DBW2)

The throttle body is 90mm inside bore.

This thing is huge! And it should be as it is feeding 6.0L of engine ;)

Also notice the side. No throttle cable, instead this beast is the latest generation of Electronic Throttle Control based TB. Why are companies doing this? Simple really. They can then govern the power output for the first X miles and then enable full power. All corvettes, BMW and Mercedes-Benz are employing this power strategy. Also it is easy to integrate throttle control into the traction control strategy.

The pinout assignment (MoTeC assignments in paranthases) for the LS2 DBW is as follows:

Pin A = Motor (Aux1, Fucntion 5)
Pin B = Motor (Aux2, Function 6)
Pin C = 0 VDC
Pin D = - Signal (TP2, this signal is inverted from normal ie, 100% - 0% when fully open)
Pin E = +5 VDC
Pin F = Signal (TP, Signal is normal 0% - 100% when fully opened).

The pin out for the ETC pedal (pictures labled 06Vette-ETCPedal & 06Vette-ETCPedal2) is as follows (when reading the connector with the locking tab on top)!

Pin 1 = +5V (TPD2)
Pin 2 = Signal TPD2 (TPD2, is inverserve of TPD, when TPD = 0, TPD2 = 100%)
Pin 3 = 0V (TPD2)
Pin 4 = 0V (TPD)
Pin 5 = Signal TPD
Pin 6 = +5V (TPD)

And you are done!

CAUTION: Be aware that the 2005 pedal LOOKS the same but the pins are not the same! In the 2005 pedal assembly, pins D & F are higher resitance value than pins A & C which is the exact OPPOSITE of the 2006 model Throttle pedal assembly!!

Of course you should always TEST to make sure you did not cross any wires or assigned the wrong output to the wrong pin (on three points, TB, ETC pedal and the MoTeC).

If you have ANY questions! Send me a PM and I will try and answer to the best of my Abilities!!

-Figgie

***This post is authorized only for Supramania/Standalone sub-forum! If I catch this post on another forum/s or the contents of this post plagerized without having communicated with me. I am coming after you!***

Attachments

• 06Vette-ETCPedal2.JPG
    06Vette-ETCPedal2.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 100
  • 06Vette-ETCPedal.JPG
    06Vette-ETCPedal.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 98
  • LS2-DBW2.JPG
    LS2-DBW2.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 109
  • LS2-DBW.JPG
    LS2-DBW.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I gave up trying to find em.....

Ended up using DTM female pins and silicone then a short fly lead and Deutsch plugs.

Drove mine a few times 1:1 and it was horrid the "curve" makes it so much nicer.

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
The DBW systems are interesting to mess with. I have a dyno customer with an '06 Vette Z06 which comes with the LS7 and what is listed as a 90 mm TB. He found a 100 mm throttle body for an LS2 and had to do quite a bit of changing to even make it work. There is also resistance issues as Wayne stated above. In the end he lost a couple of horsepower on his NA 427 but picked up some torque. Driveability with the bigger throttle body was terrible due to the resistance value being different than what the Vette body ECU was looking for. He took the 100 mm off awaiting someone to perfect the swap.

The whole point of this was pay attention to what Wayne pointed out with resistance values and matching correct components so you don't add complication and troubleshooting issues to a very high tech but pretty cool upgrade.
Sean

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
drostar;1051872 said:
Has this been done by anyone yet? It looks very interesting.

umm lol

yes ME!

LMFAO. Those parts are all mine to include the MoTeC M820 ;)

bmoss85;1051884 said:
is motec the only stand alone system you can do this with for the supra

Well no, there are other EMS that can do DBW, they all cost NORTH of MoTeC prices though (Bosch EMS 3.1 and up, EFI Tech, Magnetti Marellis etc). The Pro-EFI is said to be able to handle this BUT this is a dealer configurable option only! The MoTeC handles it also but requires the DBW option be purchased and again, I am comforatable with electronics so this is not an issue for me but I highly recommend someone like John Reed do this as if you mess up in wiring, setup or curve, you are looking at a lot of area where things that can and will go wrong.

IJ.;1052463 said:
I my Bosch 68mm!!

I've driven the car with the throttle set 1:1 with the Pedal and it's HORRIBLE but with the curve I run it's a kitten around town

Agreed.

Most new cars do not do 1:1 mapping. They actually have a more horizantal curve in the range of 0% to about 20% then do a 1:1 to 100% after that. That keeps the motor from going to nutz on the lower end of the scale.

Sean

100mm DBW? The LS2/LS7 TB should be the same DBW 90mm TB :) I have not seen a 100mm DBW setup as of yet but give Chevrolet some time before the 8.0 L engine comes out. Not even the Diesel egines use anything bigger than the 90mm DBW TB.

Where did he source the100mm TB? Curious just from an electrical standpoint.

<-- Creating a DB of the wiring pinouts using the 2005 & 2006 Vette/GTO ETC (Electronic Throttle Control) parts.

Last edited:

X-man

Dec 5, 2005
Pulaski,Va
figgie;1053336 said:
umm lol

yes ME!

LMFAO. Those parts are all mine to include the MoTeC M820 ;)

Well no, there are other EMS that can do DBW, they all cost NORTH of MoTeC prices though (Bosch EMS 3.1 and up, EFI Tech, Magnetti Marellis etc). The Pro-EFI is said to be able to handle this BUT this is a dealer configurable option only! The MoTeC handles it also but requires the DBW option be purchased and again, I am comforatable with electronics so this is not an issue for me but I highly recommend someone like John Reed do this as if you mess up in wiring, setup or curve, you are looking at a lot of area where things that can and will go wrong.

Agreed.

Most new cars do not do 1:1 mapping. They actually have a more horizantal curve in the range of 0&#37; to about 20% then do a 1:1 to 100% after that. That keeps the motor from going to nutz on the lower end of the scale.

Sean

100mm DBW? The LS2/LS7 TB should be the same DBW 90mm TB :) I have not seen a 100mm DBW setup as of yet but give Chevrolet some time before the 8.0 L engine comes out. Not even the Diesel egines use anything bigger than the 90mm DBW TB.

Where did he source the100mm TB? Curious just from an electrical standpoint.

<-- Creating a DB of the wiring pinouts using the 2005 & 2006 Vette/GTO ETC (Electronic Throttle Control) parts.

I will try to find out the name of the company he purchased this from. He spent north of 400.00 for it.

I believe this is the one he got.

http://www.speedhound.com/header/Vmaxcomtech.html

Here is a guy that does 100 to 105 mm TB.

http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=14722

Sean

Last edited:

John Reed

Supramania Contributor
Mar 23, 2007
Portland, OR
The Toyota V8 (late model) uses a pretty large DBW throttle (not sure the specs, but remember it being pretty massive looking). Perhaps this will be an option also, though knowing the cost of Toyota parts most people will probably opt for GM stuff.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I'm using a 2008 Corolla pedal here but the Late model HiLux pedals are dirt cheap and much the same. (nil stock when I was doing mine)

Just wondering if there are Toyota commercial vehicle TB's that could be cheaper than the car stuff?

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Toyota diesels are very hard to come by around the US&Ay.

Anyway 90mm is huge..... the eneed for 100 or 105mm is highly suspect! :) Now if the price is less expensive than a brand new LS2 DWB ($500 from GM, a lot less on ebay) then by all means but the Peterbuilts, Mack, Freightliners are not DBW as of yet.

John Reed

Supramania Contributor
Mar 23, 2007
Portland, OR
figgie;1055762 said:
Toyota diesels are very hard to come by around the US&Ay.

Anyway 90mm is huge..... the eneed for 100 or 105mm is highly suspect! :) Now if the price is less expensive than a brand new LS2 DWB ($500 from GM, a lot less on ebay) then by all means but the Peterbuilts, Mack, Freightliners are not DBW as of yet.

Keep in mind diesels are usually without a throttle body period, so probably not the best place to be looking for that. :biglaugh:

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
ok updating this thread with some relevant information that is specific to the MoTeC.

The much seens but never talked about PID and what it actually means.

Enjoy!

Attachments

• DTN0003_Introduction_to_PID_Control.pdf
    42.1 KB · Views: 16