electrical help in a few matters

ofer

Sep 15, 2012
israel
hello,

i recently imported an mk3 supra from the united states.
i will write down a little background so you will understand whats it all about.

first of all...the guy i bought the car from, bought the car that way - so he couldnt give me much info...

the car has been swapped with a 1jzgte vvti engine and a r154 gearbox.
the cluster is somewhy from a n\a supra (has a volt gauge on it.

the water temp gauge does not work, the oil gauge (level, or pressure? ) doesnt work as well.
when i opened and looked behind the cluster i saw a few things...
1) there are a few wires coming out of the cluster that someone soldered there (and i dont mean for led lights or something)
2) 2 of this wires seem to be soldered on the place where there in supposed to be the place for the speedometer cable to be inserted in the cluster....
does the 1jz swap work on the speedometer cable, or on speedometer sensor?
3) there are quiet a few wires that are cut in the original connectors behind the cluster...is it suppose to be that way in the swap?
4) when i recognized the oil press wire, and connected it directly to the oil sensor - the gauge went after a few seconds all the way up, and stayed there... (like it has been grounded...) but it is not grounded. because same thing exactly happend with the water temp gauge.
** i got a supra turbo cluster in full working order.... when i checked it with this cluster - same thing happened.

** i saw behind the glove box a yellow male connector hanging up in the air. i think it has 10 pins. (including the wires from the oil press and the water temp, and tachometer from the cluster..... maybe the problem is there?...is it supposed to be a modul or somekind of unit that the connector is supposted to be hooked up to there?

another thing is that the a\c doesnt work - but we will get to it later....i need to solve the cluster issues first.

thanks!
ofer

ofer

Sep 15, 2012
israel
that is the yellow connector that is alone in the air///

Attachments

• atch8.JPG
    atch8.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 9
  • atch9.JPG
    atch9.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 10

Shayne32

Jan 13, 2016
Kelowna BC
I am having the exact same problems, I bought my mkiii withe the 1jz swap done and I don't know if there was some shortcut taken or a sloppy swap or what. I have the same issue with my water temp and I had my mechanic spend quite a bit of time on this issue but he is unfamiliar with these engines and swaps and the problems they might have. He changed out the water temp sensor but still it spiked, what he ended up figuring was that some wire that was supposed to be connected through the ecu was not connected and he wasn't sure what wireing diagram to use so he didn't want to start messing with that.
As for the oil pressure, I know that the 1jz's had a oil level sensor and not an oil pressure sensor. So I got this adaptor hoze off of drift motion and a new oil pressure sensor for a 3mgte engine. Your supposed to pull the oil level sensor out and put this adaptor hoze in with the oil pressure sensor on it and connect the old wire to the new sensor. Then in your dash move the wire from the low oil level light to the oil pressure gauge. My mechanic ended up running a new wire from the sensor to the gauge but still it won't work.
I also didn't have reverse lights and my mechanic ended up tracing the wire to the ecu and it wasn't connected or something like that...so he connected it but whoever did the swap was using the wire for something else and now I have a check engine light on, but I also have reverse lights...
So I don't know I am very stuck here myself...
Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks

suprachris

Nov 22, 2015
fort wayne
When I did my swap here in the last three months I ran into this issue.. in my case, the ground for the gauge cluster was wrong. It made my gauges peg/max out. I have 86.5 turbo chassis harness. All my gauges now work except the speedometer.. my car is a 1jz no. Vvti auto.. make sure you have a 7m oil pressure sending unit. Also fix the ground issue.. the only time I have a check engine light was when my map sensor wasn't plugged in.. home this helps. I used the sticky in here called how to wire a 1jz soared into a ma70 for most of my info. Will gladly help if I can. I also never had to pull out my gauge cluster.

rhs

Sep 21, 2014
Dallas
The yellow plug appears to be the M1 from a pre-89 harness. This website should have all the wiring info if you dig around:

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/default.aspx

There shouldn't be anything out of the ordinary like cut wired behind the cluster. You need driftmotion's oil pressure extender line and a 7M oil pressure sender to get the gauge working.

To get an NA cluster tach working, you need a signal converter.

The speedometer should be a cable that runs from the passenger side of the transmission up to the dash. Also, this soldered wires might be stock. The ECU gets a speed sensor signal and will throw a check engine light if the speedometer isn't working (code 42). My cable broke on the body side so you have to rip apart the dash to replace it (not top priority for me).

Admittedly, I'm no wiring expert, but my guess is they didn't wire the M1 into the 1JZ harness, so the gauge cluster has nothing to plug into. I think this is the root of the issue.

ofer

Sep 15, 2012
israel
thanks everyone!!!

i am (i think....) glad im not the only one was has those issues...

suprachris.... what exactly did you do to ground the gauge cluster?
from the cluster itself to the body?

thanks,
ofer