Eclipse CD5030 headunit - A+++!!!!

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Richmond, Virginia, United States
An awesome deck, makes the Alpine I had in mine look and sound like mega-crap. Also does wonders with the Polk speakers and soon-to-be-added kicker box and woofers (Sony Xplode'r for now until I save up for Fosgate!!!) listening to Muse, Metallica, AC/DC, Marilyn Manson, KISS, Chemical Brothers, Gorillaz, Fuel, Crystal Method, and just about all my 60's-90's stuff. It has:

1: built-in Ipod controller system
2: built-in thumbdrive support
3: built-in Bluetooth Audio
4: built-in Bluetooth cellphone direct support
5: microphone and car audio for true hands-free calling
6: phonebook system which stores 500 numbers and names
7: XM-Sirius Satellite support
8: CD/CDROM/MP3 support with full MP3 tag ready
9: remote control
10: removable faceplate and IDKey security system
11: Amp/CD Changer ready
12: $299 for everything except install

This comes highly recommended and is just blowing away everything higher priced on the market right now.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
Sounds great, I'd like a DVD version with SD in it, but sounds like this deck it nice. I'm going to google it to check it out (pics).

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
I have an older Fujitsu Ten (Eclipse) 5000 series and love mine as well. Mine is one of the models before the company was bought out either by Philips or Panasonic (I think it's one or the other). Let us know how it goes in the long run. I'm the second owner of mine (bought used for $200.00) and it's been great to me for 4 or 5 years now!

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
I see it has an iPod controller, but does it also charge the iPod?

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
a bit of trivia

Fujitsu Ten is the manufacture that did the OEM head unit in the MKIII supra.

I have an older eclipse head unit that basically is plug and play with the OEM harness. ;)

SupraDuty

Feb 18, 2008
Missouri
I just installed this unit..couple of questions.

I don't get any text displayed for things like the station identifier and artist/title info like from RDS information...also when I play a CD I don't get any text for that either. I thought that most current head units had this ability and never asked about it up front, shouldn't it display these things? I see on other's pictures of the unit that it's showing artist/song info but not sure if that is from mp3's.

The bluetooth audio works but I can't seem to change albums, I have to go to the phone and start an album, then I can skip through the tracks and pause but can't change albums. Has anybody got that to work?

I got the phonebook to download(took a while to figure out) only to find that it can only store one phone number per contact so when I looked up my girlfriend's name it only had her home number in the list, not her mobile. Not exactly a question but just for others info.

Plugged the USB into my girlfriends iPhone 3GS, my old 4 generation iPod, and my son's Zune and couldn't get it to play anything. It recognized the iPhone as an iPod but never did play it. I've read that some have got this to work with the iPhone without ordering the "special" direct connect cable but doesn't seem to work for me.

The sound quality is great! Was able to tweak the EQ easily and love the sound but just had questions on these other features.

Drake69

Enjoyin' mah ride...
Aug 24, 2009
Richmond, Virginia, United States
SupraDuty;1436187 said:
I don't get any text displayed for things like the station identifier and artist/title info like from RDS information...also when I play a CD I don't get any text for that either. I thought that most current head units had this ability and never asked about it up front, shouldn't it display these things? I see on other's pictures of the unit that it's showing artist/song info but not sure if that is from mp3's.

It does IF the CD is coded for ID3 tagging. Older CDs won't, but most newer CDs will do this. Also, there is a display setting for ID3 tagging, in which you hit the "DISPLAY" button when the radio is set at the normal text display. In other words, no graphics.

It also should display those stations set that way. I think the same "DISPLAY" button will need to be set to show the RDS stuff as well. I haven't played with that feature yet.

SupraDuty;1436187 said:
The bluetooth audio works but I can't seem to change albums, I have to go to the phone and start an album, then I can skip through the tracks and pause but can't change albums. Has anybody got that to work?

Another feature I haven't played with yet. It does support nested albums and nested searches, either by song, artist, or album, but the most I've done with my Ipod is set it at random and just let it play.

SupraDuty;1436187 said:
I got the phonebook to download(took a while to figure out) only to find that it can only store one phone number per contact so when I looked up my girlfriend's name it only had her home number in the list, not her mobile. Not exactly a question but just for others info.

Yup, ran into that as well. Changing the name by adding a few characters will fix that, but it's annoying.

SupraDuty;1436187 said:
Plugged the USB into my girlfriends iPhone 3GS, my old 4 generation iPod, and my son's Zune and couldn't get it to play anything. It recognized the iPhone as an iPod but never did play it. I've read that some have got this to work with the iPhone without ordering the "special" direct connect cable but doesn't seem to work for me.

Really? I got it to work with an Iphone, a Zune, Ipod Video, a 2GB flash drive, and a Nano without fail. The only thing I couldn't get it to work with was my 500GB USB drive, but that's because it didn't have an independent power source, and I think it's got too much on it to read the drive directly anyway.

There's also ANOTHER manual for the headunit that describes the features in more detail, like the Bluetooth phonebook, display settings, etc... Whenever I get a new piece of tech candy, I ALWAYS d/load the PDF manuals and store them on the HD in case the paper manuals get lost, torn up, thrown away, etc... Go here and d/load the English stuff and check 'em out. One of them is the expanded manual.

http://www.eclipse-web.com/us/download/manual/index.html

CHECK THIS OUT!!! I was looking for the manual stuff and wandered across this webpage...

http://www.e-iserv.jp/portal/dispTopMenu.do?lang=na

Supposedly, it allows you to d/load wallpapers, moving graphics, AND a tool to make your own stuff!!! Trick is, I don't see anything DIRECTLY related to the CD5030, but if the d/loaded stuff doesn't work, perhaps the tool does! You'll need a USB flash drive to u/load it to the radio memory, but the instructions to do this is there. Sweeeettt....

SupraDuty

Feb 18, 2008
Missouri
Yes I did find the online manual...I was wondering what the "twin" security was since I didn't find anything about it in my manual. Found the cd-key stuff and set that up, makes a little red light flash on the unit...then ran across the i-serv website thing accidently. Sounds like you can burn the files onto a CD-R to upload the different displays as well as a USB drive. Haven't tried it out yet. I noticed that on the Crutchfield website they mention that this unit doesn't have RDS...bummer. I'll have to play around with my son's Zune again and see if I can get that to work, my 4th gen iPod is listed on their ipod compatablity list as not working...looks like I need to get a bigger USB drive and deal with that. I still haven't seen any of my CD's display text yet...I'll have to check on a newer one and see if that is why. Still love the sound.