Dual Filter by pass filter/mount clarification

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
I was hoping to get some clarification on the concept of a bypass filter. It seems I can't find any distinct information determining if it is the filter or the head unit that determines the flow through the second (or first) filter.

I'm planning a system very similair to what Jdub setup in [ http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...ostat-Controlled-Oil-Cooler-amp-Remote-Filter ] for my 5VZ-FE 4Runner. It uses the same oil filter as the 7M, so the Canton #22-595 is ideal because of the stupid spot the stock filter is located.

I want to use a WIX filter for the full flow filter and a T3/4-20S Trasko as the bypass... does the Trasko's housing handle the flow metering to it's own filter media? Or will using a standard "dual mount" result in having two effective full-flow filters in parallel?

Apparently the BMK23 unit from Amsoil handles the flow metering in the filter head? Does the Permacool Dual Filter Head #1221 do the same?

Long story short is that if the Trasko filter can run as both a full-flow and a by-pass, are the dual filter mount units (from perma-cool and amsoil, for instance) designed to handle the flow change between the two filter types? If they're not, what mechanism would prevent oil from piling into both filters at full flow rates?

And lastly, is the Trasko all it's cracked up to be? They're showing clean oil at +5000 miles? Wow.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you guys can provide.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
The Trasko acts as both full flow and bypass via an integral metering valve. It automatically shunts a little oil through the element while the rest goes through fine mesh screens. The screens don't provide the level of filtration a typical full flow filter would though so you might still want to use a dual filter mount and let the Trasko act solely as a bypass.

My experience with the Trasko has been excellent when used as a transmission filter. It shines in that application, as it does for power steering. I have not used it for engine oil but others I know claim it works well.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
Ah, I see. This indicates that the mount is irrelevant and the flow metering happens in the filter. Thus, if you put the full flow on mount #1 and by pass on #2, or vice/versa, the overall flow management would be the same and the system would work identically in either configuration, correct?

I just want to be real sure I know how this system works before I start buying parts. I've read of people losing engines to dual filtration systems and this is the one aspect I don't know for certain.

What is your recommended by-pass filter for engine oil?

Thank you for the reply JJ.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
I have the Amsoil bypass on my 7m (BMK21) and I haven't even gone through one oil change yet so I can't comment on its performance yet, but it uses a large screw on filter and it meters the oil with a small orifice in the filter head itself.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Keros;1696050 said:
...What is your recommended by-pass filter for engine oil?...

I prefer'd a TP filter like the MotorGaurd or Frantz but no longer use them because modern engines (or an older one rebuilt well) will usually out last the car. A depth filter used on the tranny or PS is a different story. Due to the close tolerance parts involved all hydraulic systems (which is what auto trannies and PS systems are) greatly benefit from good filtration. My Supra left me after 22 years with every power steering component it came with new and after the filter was installed the reservoir suction screen remained spotless.

There's nothing wrong with using the Trasko alone. Many people do. Contrary to popular believe healthy engines don't generate large particulates. The first element doesn't last long but once the oil is cleaned up subsequent ones last 5-10K. The downside to the Trasko is having to buy their elements.

The Scamsoil spin on bypass is good. It's just a) too expensive for my tastes and b) I'm not fond of the company's mass marketing approach.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
CyFi6;1696071 said:
I have the Amsoil bypass on my 7m (BMK21) and I haven't even gone through one oil change yet so I can't comment on its performance yet, but it uses a large screw on filter and it meters the oil with a small orifice in the filter head itself.

I could have sworn I responded to this yesterday... I probably got sidetracked and closed the window.

Anyway, I think this sells the Amsoil filter head very well. I can't seem to find any information about the Perma-Cool product. I might email Amsoil and get a technical discussion about a damn good reason to buy their filter head.

But nonetheless, I'm still confused as to what dual filter head would be ideal to provide flow metering to a by-pass filter, any bypass filter. Seems the amsoil head is a one stop solution for by-pass and full-flow relocation.