drift questions please help!

drod23

Mar 27, 2011
Santa Paula, California
what camber alignment settings should my car have for the track??
what should i do to get more steering angle : inner tie rods,inner spacers,etc. ???
any other tips or info for a beginner would help

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
All depends on what car you're using. There was a guy who machined tie rod spacers for the Mk3 though, helped with steering angle a bit. If you're just starting out with this sort of thing though, might I recommend an easier to maintain, possibly cheaper car to use? I believe it was IJ who posted that "a turbo Supra is an unforgiving bitch at the best of times".

I still recommend a Miata for anyone looking to get into just about any kind of motorsport. It really is the answer to any related question, even if it isn't presented as an option... plus, if you could learn to drift a Miata, you'd be able to drift just about anything...

LordDigital

May 21, 2005
Chicago
Currently in the world there is only one MK3 supra known to have steering angle of over 60 degrees. The good news are that it was confirmed to me that he is more than likely using the MA70 subFrame (or other subFrame painted Black) the bad news is that it took the owner 2+ years with a pro drift team behind him (frenzy drift team) to figure out a way to do it and they are not sharing... That should tell you how difficult it is to transform the MK3 into a good drifting car. For all other drifting purposes ,steering rack spacers and 89+ steering rack are the most common mods.

Do not expect good drifting settings for camber and castor to be provided to you ,because this is not a S13/S14 forum ;)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
LordDigital;1758712 said:
Do not expect good drifting settings for camber and castor to be provided to you ,because this is not a S13/S14 forum ;)

Haha, this is true... everything has it's purpose though. I'd rather drive from here to Florida and back in my car than drive to Denver and back in an S-car... But for drifting, I'd argue that you gotta pick a more suited car for the task you're wanting to accomplish. Not saying Mk3's are horrible cars for drifting, just saying there are better options unless your wallet is a lot thicker than most.

Master_Spazez

Jun 4, 2011
SC
And you don't know what works best for your style until you try it out and get a feel for it, I say try drifting it stock and take note of what need improving. If you can find a big empty lot right after it rains that is very helpful for honing techniques at low speed and low-risk.

drod23

Mar 27, 2011
Santa Paula, California
i went to the track once already thats why i want opinion on what mods other drivers use,
the mods i have so far are front and rear coilovers, new 89+ steering rack, rear camber links and good sticky tires
a friend of mine had the same problem (he didnt have enough angle)with an 86 ,so he converted to a manual rack with tie rods, knuckles and rca's to get more angle
i was wondering if any brands make kits or mods to get more steering angles

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
It's been brought to my attention that my previous post was a bit rude, and not very helpful. I can see it too, looking back. That said, my only intent in posting was that to build a Mk3 into a drift car, or owning one for motorsport in general, you have a great deal of work ahead of you, not to mention homework, custom fabrication, and practice. I was merely looking at it from a financial standpoint, there are cheaper cars to go drifting in, BUT... if you already have a Mk3, and you're liking it, by all means stick to it man! There are a good handful of Mk3's used in drifting that I'm aware of (not even a huge follower of the sport myself), and I would love to get my car out there to have some fun destroying tires, but the nearest events are all over 200 miles one way from me.

All that aside, as far as steering modifications go, the only thing I've heard of is fitting a manual steering rack from some year/model of Mustang (here's where that homework part comes in), the inner tie rod spacers that I mentioned. Other than that, I know nothing about how to get more angle out of these things. Good luck, and you might consider posting up in the general Mk3 section, it not only gets a lot more traffic, but I'm sure you'd attract the attention of more experienced members that would be willing to share some tips and tricks. :)

Mk3*Supra

Jun 14, 2010
Ohio
I know this thread was started a while ago but just to add:

we are currently building two mk3's for the drift world.. and as stated before it is not cheap.. if you can't afford it i'd recommend a 240sx drift missle.. they also have much more aftermarket support

That said, we are in the middle of playing 'how much angle can we get from a supra without swapping racks'.. once we finish we will do a write up on it since it seems to be a huge question.. already gained a bit without any serious mods.. we do have a spare set of knuckles that might get modded eventually

as for the car I hope you are saving up for a jz soon if you havent already swapped.. 7ms dont like the abuse of drifting and dont be suprised when you spin a bearing... we spun a bearing the 2nd track event in our 87.. of course we didn't care because jz swaps were already in the making.. it actually lasted longer then we thought.. if this is your only car you should care

suspension should be the FIRST thing you get.. better brake fluid would help too otherwise it's likely to boil

couple degrees of camber in the front would help but not needed for your skill set I don't think.. you should be practicing controlled dounuts and figure 8's before getting into more high speed stuff where angle is going to help you out a lot.. no need to slam you're car out and run massive amounts of camber in the front/rear unless you like dont like suspension geometry and want to 'look cool'.. there is a reason Matt Powers ditched the hellaflush look in Forumla D

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_arti...ew-of-matt-powers-formula-d-2011-rebuild.aspx