drawing a blank

northwestsupra

Sep 19, 2006
Washington, Marysville
so got 3 questions, this is all going to the wiring of a vipec v44 to a 7mgte, im going to be running the harness myself to eliminate chance of problems with bad "old" wires.

1. i just popped through the instructions for it and noticed this.
The V44 has four independent saturated injector drives allowing sequential, group and group
staged fuel injection. These injection drives are designed to be used with high impedance
injectors. Injector ballast resistors must be wired if low impedance injectors are to be used.

Unused Injection channels can be used for additional auxiliary outputs.

im going to be running low impedance PTE 880cc injectors, this is where im drawing the blank, where do i get a injector ballast resistor, the only thing i've ever heard of using the word ballast was HID head lights lol. hopefully someone can put some knowledge in my head about this.

2. in the wiring diagram for it, it asks for what looks like just 2 connections trigger 1 and shield ground. "signal/ground"
http://www.vi-pec.com/techdata/V44wire.pdf
looking at the stock connection though im seeing 4 wires coming off of the cps, NE/G1/G2 are pickups and G is ground.
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=IG&P=16
so do i just wire into 1 pickup and the ground?

3. TPS sensor. 4 pins
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=FI&P=101
v44 ask for 3 open/wiper/close
if im looking at this right it seems to me E2 is sensor ground. but the other 3 dont say much on the ECU pinout just VTA IDL and VC. what is what. i know i've figured it out before.

all the help is greatly appreciated and hopefully i will have my beast running soon. thanks again everyone

gurov

May 17, 2010
NJ
they're looking for the resistor box for the injectors. low impedance injectors are 2-3 ohm while high impedance injectors are 12-13 ohm. i'm not sure what the stock setup is on the 7m, but from my limited poking around of the 2jz engine management, the stock injectors are low impedance, there's a resistor box on the driver's side that makes the injectors appear as high impedance, so the ecu does not need the high current drivers.

for tps, it's a simple variable resistor,
open = +5v
wiper = signal out
closed = ground

i can only assume it's called a wiper cause it looks like a wiper arm inside of the assembly of the variable resistor.

IDL sounds like an optional idle indicator from the throttle body in addition to the throttle angle, perhaps for calibration or something. you'd leave that off

VC = +5v
VTA = voltage throttle angle - signal
then there will be a ground there, should be easy to find with a multimeter.

for the trigger input, if it's anything at all like the 2jz, you will need at least 2 inputs, one crank and one cam. so NE and either G1 or G2

northwestsupra

Sep 19, 2006
Washington, Marysville
well i went into the chat room last night, jeff was nice enough to tell me and show me what the 7mgte resistor box looked like. passenger side shock tower, metal box with fins and a yellow plug lol, i know what he was talking bout though.

as for if its like a 2jz idk, basically we have 3 magnetic pickups, and a toothed gear for the signal, basic style of cps. but in the instuctions there are 3 trigger options you can wire up. they dont say much expect in the wiring diagram about the 3rd trigger.

Trigger Inputs
Trigger inputs are required for the VX ECU to calculate engine speed as well as engine
position. In all but the most basic applications both Trigger 1 and Trigger 2 must be used.
These must be connected to crankshaft or camshaft position sensors to provide the required
information.
Trigger 1 is used to determine crankshaft position.
Trigger 2 is used to determine the engines position in the firing order (cam position).
Often called the sync signal.
Digital Inputs may be required for Variable Valve Timing camshaft position sensors
(Refer to Digital Inputs Wiring for more information).
In applications using direct spark or sequential injection, Trigger 2 must always be driven
from a sensor on the camshaft a sensor using a trigger wheel that performs one revolution
for each 720 degree engine cycle.
The Trigger 1 and Trigger 2 cables each include two wires surrounded by a braided shield.
These have the following functions.

The braided shield in both cables MUST not be grounded at the sensor end. If the sensor has
its own shielded wire connection, make sure this does not connect directly to the engine
block.
There are a large number of triggering variants used by different engine manufacturers. The
important differences are the type of sensors used, the number of pulses sent from the
sensors during an engine cycle and the timing of the pulses in relation to the engine cycle.
There are two main types of sensors that are commonly used. It is important that the sensor
type is known, as the wiring for each type is completely different.

Reluctor/Magnetic Sensors
Reluctor/Magnetic sensors have a toothed trigger wheel that passes across the face of the
sensor. The movement of the teeth past the sensor generates a voltage in the sensors
winding. These sensors usually have only two wires as the sensor itself generates a voltage.
One wire is the sensor ground while the other is the signal output. Some reluctor sensors
have a second ground to sheild their enclosure and therefore have three wires. These
sensors are often identified by sharp tooth profiles.
IMPORTANT!
The polarity of the reluctor sensors two wires is very important and
must be correct. Wiring of sensors incorrectly could result in erratic
running and possibly engine damage
Reluctor sensors MUST be wired so that the ECU sees a positive voltage as the tooth
approaches the sensor and a negative voltage as the tooth leaves the sensor. An
oscilloscope is usually required to determine correct reluctor polarity

northwestsupra

Sep 19, 2006
Washington, Marysville
if i got this right, this is what im looking for
sm_photo_missing.jpg

gurov

May 17, 2010
NJ
for the resistor box ? there would be 6 - 12 pins/wires/some kind of connector on it . is there ?

---------- Post added at 11:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 AM ----------

P1040305.sized.JPG

it's right in the middle... with what looks like an 8 position connector, one thick white wire and 3 visible black wires. i'm guessing it's on the positive side of the injectors, so +12 goes in from EFI relay of some sort, and provides 10-ish ohm resistance to 6 wires