Dragracing noob

StefanLarsson

Viking
Jun 26, 2006
Sweden
I'm going to the dragstrip this weekend to see what my Supra can do, but I can't decide which is the best way to launch with a manual tranny.
Should i rev it and drop the clutch or should I use the parking brake to build boost?
I always seem to spin to much or drop boost and get a crappy start.
And what results should I expect whith my setup(sig.) I'm at 8 psi... 14 sec?

92turbo4life

Banned
Sep 12, 2005
wherever
launch from about redline..... if u have traction issues fether 1st once u hit 2cnd just full throttle it untill ur done! spray ur ic and id say high maybe mid 14's

ViR2

Supraniac
May 20, 2006
Lithuania
www.hpaddict.eu
well i would doubt that he could fit in 14s whit that lounch, u should lounch maybe @ 3500-4000 if your tires can grip it right, and then go full throttle. Wheel spining in drag stip isnt a good thingy ;)

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
there's a video on here somewhere of a MKIII launching like a rocket ship, and he said he launches at 6000 rpm. He said you have to not be scared of breaking something to launch it good. Paraphrasing.... so don't quote me boy, I ain't said shit......................lol

Last sentence is old school...............lol

92turbo4life

Banned
Sep 12, 2005
wherever
buddys car at the track just like that beacsue his cheap ass had basiccly no tire.. so i thaught i was screwed. he didnt want to even run it beacsue he was scared bout the tires. i ran it and i ran a 14.9 at 102 or some bvullshit... lol he was at like 9psi bov and exhuast, mbc stupid shit lol

Jspec7m88

Dec 3, 2005
Nappy City
suprahero said:
Paraphrasing.... so don't quote me boy, I ain't said shit......................lol

Jay!? Tell me it aint so!:rolleyes:

Gangstaa! Gangstaa!!!!
It's not about a salary, it's all about reality.

;);););)

:rofl: That's great!!

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
92turbo4life said:
launch from about redline..... if u have traction issues fether 1st

If you don't have traction issues then, sell the car it's junk!

If you do launch like this, check 92turbo4life's rebuild thread for instructions, you're gonna need them. Sorry Adam, had to do it on this one. Redline launch is crazy.

Definitely read outofstep's thread! You don't want to do everything there if you're in your daily driver, but a lot of good help there.

StefanLarsson

Viking
Jun 26, 2006
Sweden
Well, I suck!
I managed 15,4/93,2Mph, my excuse is that the traction was pretty lousy, spun it both in 1:st and 2:nd.
My first launch was a disaster, spun like crasy, people must have thoght I confused the start for a burnout or something. But hey, I was pretty nervous the first time in front of a thousand people watching...
Ah well, try and try again, perhaps I'll find some better tires...

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I'm pretty sure I was nervous the first time too, but this woman I was with made me feel at ease...................Oh sorry, wrong first time.................:naughty:

It's just like anything else, the more you practice, the better you get. Good luck.................lol

StefanLarsson

Viking
Jun 26, 2006
Sweden
suprahero said:
I'm pretty sure I was nervous the first time too, but this woman I was with made me feel at ease...................Oh sorry, wrong first time.................:naughty:

I bet you didn't have a thousand people watching you and making remarks like "man, that's weak!", and "I bet he can't handle that stick properly!" :biglaugh: :naughty:

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
HAHAHA!!!!!........You got me on that one brother. There was six people watching and they did buy a ticket, so I made a little cash for my first time........................;)

I don't know if they got their money's worth though...................:biglaugh:

boost PSSH boost

SM's Welding Guru
Apr 4, 2005
Marshall, WI
suprahero said:
launches at 6000 rpm.

That's on drag radials...heheh. I used the same technique to bustoff a 12.66 in my 60-1 ct 88T 5spd. We even ran the same tires at the same track. Nitto DR's. Kenny ( 1 slo mk3 ) is just a better driver and way lighter than my fat ass.

ViR2 said:
firstly, its not FWD car, so dont dare to use parking brake...

You don't use the parking brake to build boost in a 5spd, but you do to preload the drivetrain. Pull the brake, bring up the revs, and let out the clutch a tiny little bit right before the tree starts. Anticipate the green, let off the brake and launch. I'm sure someone else can explain that better than I can.

snake eyes

Dec 21, 2005
katy, tx
www.myspace.com
eh, only true way to do that is get a 2step, what i do is ALWAYS be 2nd to light up the lights, i let him light his up, rev the car to launch, just inch foward til my light is lit, pull the ebrake to stop and let the clutch out a touch, then launch on the last light before green, slipping out 1st gear light a quick start from a normal traffic light. got a 1.9 60' out of it. trust me, you'll know when ya did it right ;)

<l><l>