door handle LED

wade3570

Jan 7, 2007
tallahassee, florida
...or you could do that. lol. i wanted the challenge, i guess. lol. as far as the keyring on the door. sorry, that wasnt clear from what i read, but anyways...not sure why you couldnt get the LED out. its part of the cylinder assembly. hmmm.

martin p

1JZ-GTE powered Supra.
Feb 5, 2006
East coast. UK
Done my ignition key ring as well, except I've used a flashing Red/Blue led, looks very good at night, I may wire the led output for the Alarm into it too, So it flashes when alarm is armed

wade3570

Jan 7, 2007
tallahassee, florida
martin p;1381714 said:
Done my ignition key ring as well, except I've used a flashing Red/Blue led, looks very good at night, I may wire the led output for the Alarm into it too, So it flashes when alarm is armed
now thats cool! eventually i'll be wiring my whole car to resemble a disco night club!......sike! <----(yeah, im bringing it back!)

iruyle

Jul 17, 2012
lawrenceville, ga
IMGP0069.jpgIMGP0072.jpg

I have read a dozen or so complete threads over the last few days about the LED guage conversions and those for the climate control. I just did the guages using the superbrightleds 194 5-bulb and the 74 3-bulb and it was perfect with no hotspots, no dim spots and without adjusting or modding at all. The threads all contained really good specific info about what bulbs to use in almost every application in the car.
In all my reading, however, I could never find anything that said what specific bulb I would need to change the door handle key ring. So, for anyone who has been looking to replace this bulb and has been unable to find a number or type to use, it is a 2mm x 5mm rectangular LED. You can search ebay with "2x5 led" or "2x5x7 led <color you want>" etc. and you will find tons of them in every color. The few that I saw also came with the resistors free so just use the top post in this thread to solder one in line and you will get the results you want.
There are a ton of references to replacing this bulb in the LED threads but even the first post in this one simply alludes to a "similar" bulb without any real specifics. I thought I would share so you'd know what you needed to have on hand to complete this job before you got the lock taken apart to find out...

***One other thing that wasn't really conveyed is exactly how difficult it might be to remove this thing from your lock cylinder. It can be crimped down pretty tightly so dont be afraid to do some persuading in prying it out. You can see from my pics that some mangling may ensue. ;)