Domestic Flights in the US (CA) - Options?

MrOizo

May 24, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
Hey peoples,

The wife and I are making a trip over to the US staying mainly in CA as a delayed honeymoon. We have most stuff booked and paid for but the only thing missing are domestic flights.

We are driving from Los Angles to San Fransisco and then flying from San Fransisco to Las Vegas, staying a few nights and then flying back to Los Angles.

My brother suggested kayak.com which seems to be alright. Is there a better option? Maybe going to the airline direct? If so which airline is the best option?

I hope we are traveling light so could always bring some parts with me also - dont really know what I have to be able to sell yet :eek:

Thanks!

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Either kayak or direct (Southwest would be good) is fine. Oakland airport right across the bay from SFO offers even more choices.

I hope that drive from LA to SF includes the PCH. At least through Big Sur. You may also want to drive from Vegas to LA. It's not that far and you'd probably find the scenery interesting. Think Rangipo but bigger and more rugged.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Yup, the only reason not to choose the above would be that you have a bunch of frequent flyer miles that you can transfer to a US partner airline, or if you happen to have elevated status on a particular US airline, which seems unlikely in this case.

MrOizo

May 24, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
flight doc89;1886851 said:
Nothing but good results from Kayak.com.
Thanks for that. We have found out that baggage can be added at the airport.

jetjock;1887145 said:
Either kayak or direct (Southwest would be good) is fine. Oakland airport right across the bay from SFO offers even more choices.

I hope that drive from LA to SF includes the PCH. At least through Big Sur. You may also want to drive from Vegas to LA. It's not that far and you'd probably find the scenery interesting. Think Rangipo but bigger and more rugged.
Rangipo?! You sound like some one that regulars NZ! Was working out there once, unfortunately too far for anyone to deliver pizzas :)
We have already booked accommodation and things to do because of Christmas time - We know where we need to be and when, just have to figure out how.

3p141592654;1887149 said:
Yup, the only reason not to choose the above would be that you have a bunch of frequent flyer miles that you can transfer to a US partner airline, or if you happen to have elevated status on a particular US airline, which seems unlikely in this case.
I have a fair bit or AirNZ Airpoints but have left it too late to transfer them to another airline or to see if they will even do that.

Thanks for the help guys.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I find it a bit funny, aside from the bugs and the snakes, I figure NZ would be a beautiful place for a honeymoon. Grass is always greener, huh? :p

If you're at all interested in Bonneville, you're not terribly out of the way from San Francisco to Vegas if you change your mind and decide to drive... Anyway, enjoy the trip! :)

MrOizo

May 24, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
te72;1887569 said:
I find it a bit funny, aside from the bugs and the snakes, I figure NZ would be a beautiful place for a honeymoon. Grass is always greener, huh? :p

If you're at all interested in Bonneville, you're not terribly out of the way from San Francisco to Vegas if you change your mind and decide to drive... Anyway, enjoy the trip! :)

Haha yeah. I travel all over NZ for work so i have seen the whole country maybe 3/4 times. Each year we carry out testing on the roads... most of the time it includes out highway network from top to bottom.

We're going to Disneyland and Magic Mountain - I've done Disneyland a few times but my wife hasn't.
I was keen to drive and go from LA to NY - thats a big no-no :)

We only have spiders here, no snakes luckily.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
MrOizo;1887580 said:
I was keen to drive and go from LA to NY - thats a big no-no :)
Always wanted to do an epic road trip like that... in an Aston. Depending on the route you take (I suggest the older highways, convenient for time as the interstate system is, it's boring as hell), that drive would be a lot of fun and quite beautiful. Wife doesn't want to be in a car for 5-6 days?

3p141592654;1887590 said:
Don't miss the new 'Cars' ride at California Adventure! No Supras though. :icon_sad:
That movie restored my faith in modern American animation, would love to see how the ride stacks up.

MrOizo

May 24, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
te72;1888599 said:
Always wanted to do an epic road trip like that... in an Aston. Depending on the route you take (I suggest the older highways, convenient for time as the interstate system is, it's boring as hell), that drive would be a lot of fun and quite beautiful. Wife doesn't want to be in a car for 5-6 days?.

I think if we had more time and more money, several days driving and exploring would have worked. Initially we asked about going to the east, doing the Disney World there and visiting Kennedy Space Centre and going up to NY while we were there. That was too much. Changed to Hawaii, and that too was too much. Wife is a teacher and our summer holidays are over Christmas... peak traveling time for the southern hemisphere :(

A friend of mine and I are joking about doing a across the US trip. We'll see if that happens!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
MrOizo;1889159 said:
A friend of mine and I are joking about doing a across the US trip. We'll see if that happens!
Understandable, traveling is expensive. If you can make this happen though, enjoy! Lot of beautiful places in this country. :)

jetjock;1889338 said:
Have friends in Rotorua. Your national airline is a class act btw. Funny too. Take their new Hobbit safety briefing (can be found on youtube) for example. Great stuff.
You mean this one?

[video=youtube;cBlRbrB_Gnc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cBlRbrB_Gnc[/video]

MrOizo

May 24, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
Well... been in CA for almost a week now. First impression is how friendly and polite everyone is here. First day driving and it's hard getting used to sitting in another seat and driving on the 'wrong' side of the road :p

Saw a a tidy grey MKIII driving down one of the roads in Beverly Hills. Pretty sure it was Olympic Blvd - too slow to get my camera out!

Off to San Francisco tomorrow from Magic Mountain. Shit today was a good day.

Anyways, Merry Christmas everyone!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Enjoy your say here sir, and Happy Christmas to you and yours as well. :)