Discussion on project goals and direction, a newbies thoughts.

motamota

Jan 8, 2014
Lexington, KY
Greetings.

Before I get into mapping out my thoughts allow me to say that I appreciate this community and any input that might come up in this discussion. Also, I had a hard time deciding which section this post should go, not wanting to enrage the mods. If it is out of place, please move it with my apologizes in advance.

I have an '89 Mk3, with about enough parts in a pile to build another '92. 7MGTE, 7M block, 6M crank extra bottom and top end bits, &c.
Right now, it's sitting doing nothing, and I want to drive it. Before I do that, I wanted to really ask myself WHAT the purpose of this car is to be. To that end, I made a list
of specifications I might like to have:

• Build a GT car, in the truest sense of the word.
  • Balance between pure performance and refinement (alla Grand Touring).
  • Have the reliability to sustain a high cruising speed. (Think German)
  • Have the ability to city drive (but not necessarily Daily Drive)
  • Propose a top speed of 300/kph +2% for safety. (Yes... areodynamics, will hit that later)
  • Have a somewhat flat torque curve.
  • NOT have a super spike in power at 5000rpm and 25lbs boost.
  • As quiet as possible.
  • I don't drag race, but I might sprint race. 1/4mile times are the least important to me.
  • 60% handling / 40% ride quality - I do want to be able to drive this car long distances.
  • 100L fuel tank? 93 Octane, no E85, no 110oct.
  • Attend shows, having driven the car to the show - we don't want no trailer queen.
  • 0-2 track days per year.
  • Burnouts... No.

Now mind you, in the month or so that I have done nothing but read this forum, I realized that a lot of people like to "slam that bitcx!" - No. Just no. I'm not 18, I destroyed my back in Drum Coprs and Marching band long ago, but I still like to go on long drives. I stop every 3-4 hours because I have to, not because I want to. I think the term GT gets misused a lot, and like JDM gets slapped on everything coming and going. I do not want an unforgiving street-fighter that will out accelerate a launch controlled GTR. I want an unsuspecting, more refined than defined Grand Touring autobahn stormer. Some of the things on my list might be conflicting, and I may not know it. If I have to have a single-turbo at 40lb's boost to reach 300/kph, then we'll not go there. If I have to cut the whole back half of the car off to haul around 25gal of fuel in a super-tank, again, we'll not go there. If you think I'm dumb for even attempting a build like this, let me know.

I'll move the engine/technical talk down into the proper forum, I just included it on the list for discussion sake, and to make the list as complete as possible. I am very open to non-starters, money IS an object, no I don't want to swap in jdm 2jzftw.... I also realize that with enough fundage, all things on my list are possible. However, let's for discussion sake say that a build under $10,000 would be very awesome. Let's also say that any system part I feel should not cost over $1000. I can't see any reason to spend $4000 on a break system - sure, it will stop you, but for my needs, I'm not scrubbing triple-digit speeds every 20 seconds; sounds a bit overkill.

Yes, I will drive this car in the keening down rain at 110mph. My 1995 7-series has no trouble doing that, I never died once.... I was following a crazy person. Anyhow, my 7-series weighs more and was running 255/60/16 Khumo Excta LX-Platinum.
There is no reason that a well sorted Mk3 should not be able to do the same. I want a usable car. And I want to use it all the time. So, while I get all the wiring straightened out from this hack job, let me know your thoughts. Ask questions, yell at me, bring the hate.

:love: